Thinking of selling the bike.

It's been going through my head for quite a while now...

Last year, I put on 800 miles.

So far this year... well.... I haven't so much as seen my bike since August... . When I think I'll have time, the only opportunity to ride is by myself. It's a good 45 minute ride to some decent roads...

The bike is store over at a buddy's house, where it can stay indoors and out of the weather... but this also makes it impossible to look outside in the morning, say "The weather looks nice..I'm going to take the bike in." .. Also, riding to work is a bit of a problem, as it's kind of hard to carry a 42"x36" set of blueprints on the bike....

So... I dunno... it's not like I need the money... I don't have a bike payment.. so the only thing it's costing me is yearly property taxes and insurance....

Thoughts?

If it is only costing you license and registration I would keep it.

I remember selling my Dirt Bikes because I moved to an area where I would have to trailer them to do any riding and I regretted it for years.

Keep it. Move 40 minutes out closer to the good roads and at a place with a garage big enough. Commute with the cage and when you're home, you CAN look outside and say "Nice enough! I'm going for a ride!" and you're 5 minutes from the good stuff.

Seriously though, if you have not ridden it in all that time and the whole season before was 800 miles? Sounds like some new camera equipment to me Aaron. If there comes a time where you want a bike, there's plenty of used ones out there... Hell, Pete will be ready to sell that Tuono by then, ;)

That's what I'm thinking... Canon just released the 5DMKIII camera body... and I spend a lot of time with that whole deal...

The only problem I have with selling the bike... is I'll really lose my ass on it. Basically, what I can sell it for, and what I have in suspension about equal each other out.... I'm tempted to part it out... but I don't think I could bring myself to rip the poor gal apart... it'd be like killing a favorite pet.. I'm thinking that on a good day, to the right buyer, I can get $3500... maybe $3700.... but.. I dunno.

why do you pay property taxes on a vehicle?

Because the Commonwealth of VA is run by a-holes.

We pay property tax every year on all property owned, cars, motorcycles, trucks, ATV's, etc etc. On top of the percentage based property tax, we have to buy a County Sticker each year for $25 for each vehicle... and yes.. before you ask, we also have to pay sales tax on all of the above when we initially buy it... so, first year .. let's say you go out and buy a $30,000 truck. You'll pay 5% sales tax when you register it. Plus the plate/registration/title fees. Then, when April rolls around, you'll get a bill for the property tax on the same vehicle. Which runs about 8-12%

OH WOW, that is terrible. I guess it is time to move closer the the good riding area's and out of VA... lol.

The ultimate kick to the balls is that my mom is the County Treasurer. ... She doesn't have anything to do with determining the tax values of property or vehicles (that's the Commissioner of Revenue) but, she's the one I have to hand over handfuls of sweaty cash to.

What if the bike isn't registered?? Do you still pay the yearly tax??? If not, then for the time being, remove the plate and registration, and wait until you find time that you'll be using it. Empty the floats and tank and let her wait for you.

As long as the title is in my name, I gotta pay the tax.

Taking tags off of it would get rid of the insurance cost... but that's really not much at all... I spend more a year on pretzels than I spend on motorcycle insurance.

As long as the title is in my name, I gotta pay the tax.

Taking tags off of it would get rid of the insurance cost... but that's really not much at all... I spend more a year on pretzels than I spend on motorcycle insurance.

Wow! I already hate Virginia!........Not your wife of course, your state! That is a sucky law if you ask me! We have our crap laws here too. You buy a bike or car here and you pay the state tax on it before you can get plates. Then you sell it to someone else 5 years later and that person pays the state sales tax again. He sells it 3 years later and the next owner pays the tax! Hell! How many friggin times does tax have to be paid on the same damn item??!!! I say LETS THROW THE TEA OVERBOARD AGAIN IN THE HARBOR!!!! :sinister:

Hells yeah. I'd be game for that.....

Whenever I try to explain the tax situation here to people..... it normally goes to bread.

You buy a loaf of bread.
You pay sales tax.
You want to eat a slice.
You pay usage tax. (Yeah... I have to pay the County a usage tax each month on my cell phone bill... Really.)
Each day that the bread remains, you pay a tax based on the percentage of bread left in the bag... whether you eat it or not.
When the bread goes moldy, you still pay tax on the remaining bread as if it were fresh.
When you tire of looking at the moldy bread, you either have to pay a disposal fee to get rid of it, or sell the bread to someone else.

Wow...Indiana is soooo easy!!!!...sorry for everyone else who has so many rules and laws....just like our bikes a lot of you can't do certain mods....Indiana...pshh they don't care ....it's yours do what you want...and we don't pay tax on bread...lol...

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

because the commonwealth of va is run by a-holes.

We pay property tax every year on all property owned, cars, motorcycles, trucks, atv's, etc etc. On top of the percentage based property tax, we have to buy a county sticker each year for $25 for each vehicle... And yes.. Before you ask, we also have to pay sales tax on all of the above when we initially buy it... So, first year .. Let's say you go out and buy a $30,000 truck. You'll pay 5% sales tax when you register it. Plus the plate/registration/title fees. Then, when april rolls around, you'll get a bill for the property tax on the same vehicle. Which runs about 8-12%

omg wtf, ft

PA is a commonwealth and I think everyone should move here...It's amazing...
My city Lancaster was voted number 1 in the country for best place to live by USA today...

Think about it is all i'm saying... lol

Back