Thinking about Getting a FZ1

I currently have a r1, but i am thinking about getting a fZ1. Is there anyone that can help me compare the two. I have never been on a fz1. I have ridin a fz6. I liked the way it felt. The riding position but the power was lacking. Can someone help me.

Well Im just a rookie rider and my FZ1 is only my second bike. And comeing from a V star 650 I feel like I traded in a fiat for a Ferrari. In your situation an
R1 certantly does not lack on power. For me I mostly just drive back and forth to work and on days off I basicly just pick a direction and go. Comeing
from the comfort of a cruiser I like the more up right seating and haveing bad joints I never thought I would like the crotch rocket seating position for long.

As far as the FZ6 I would asume it makes most of its power in the high rpms,
the FZ1 haveing the cc advantege seems (in my opinion) to have power everywhere.

Your analogy isn't too far off the mark. I would classify the R1 as a full fledged crotch rocket but the FZ1 is more of a maxed out street rod. Also, you will find that the FZ1 does not like to be lugged and it it most happy over 4000 rpm. All the cruisers I've owned, maybe with the exception of my VRSCD are out of gas or close to it by 4500 to 5000. You'll get the feeling of it with some miles under your butt.

I recently purchased a Gen I FZ1 and test rode an FZ6 when looking. The ergos are very similar with perhaps a little more room on the FZ1. As far as power, there is no comparison. The FZ1 might not have the screaming top end of the R1, but it is plenty for me.

I recently purchased a Gen I FZ1 and test rode an FZ6 when looking. The ergos are very similar with perhaps a little more room on the FZ1. As far as power, there is no comparison. The FZ1 might not have the screaming top end of the R1, but it is plenty for me.

+1 -- I afraid to sit on a Gen II for just as I'm getting settled into my Gen I, I'll want one!

Welcome to the board!

BroHay

I have had a Gen2 FZ1 for the past 2 1/2 years and love it to death. It has the power equivalent of a 2004 R1 engine but doesn't have the full-on race handling or riding position. I have ridden the FZ6 and although this handles something similar to the FZ1, it doesn't have any of the top end push that the FZ1 has, nor does it have the low down grunt for town work either. I would say that if you are looking to trade the R1 for a more upright street machine, you will have to go a very long way to beat the FZ1.

BTW, I rode with a couple of lads last year who had R1s and I could just about keep up with them, although I lost them in the corners, not because the FZ1 can't corner, it can, but because I bottled it!! :eek:

Morph

not wanting to argue with the last statement but the fz1 does have the 04'R1 motor it also has a heavier crank , different cams , and computer . With that said i love my 07' FZ1 bought new last year and there are plenty pf mods out there to get 150+ rwhp out of this bike

I can guarantee that the FZ1 will still be going when almost everyone of these guys that says it is not as fast as.... does not have the speed of...
I have been riding for over 25 years. I have had Kawasakis, Hondas, etc.
I just got my 08 FZ1 for Christmas. I have not run it much over 6,000 rpm. Not because I was afraid of hurting the engine but because it was doing all I wanted it to do.
Straight off the showroom floor you have 120 hp to the rear wheel. Just a few simple mods and you will have 140+. Who the .... needs 140hp anyway. I probably do not use 40 of those hp most of the time anyway.
My friends and I will be heading to the N. Georgia Mountains in a few months for annual trip. There will be a Honda Interceptor, CBRR600R, Harley Screaming Eagle, and Kawasaki zx10r. I can tell you the FZ1 will ride with the best of them, depending on my talent.
I liked it because of the more upright riding position. Sporty, but not doubled over the tank. Get the FZ1, You will not be dissatisfied.

I totally agree that you wont be disappointed with the FZ1 . I just want to state the facts about the FZ1 . It is an awsome bike in every area and with a few mods you can make it into whatever you like . My vote ....get the FZ1 and you will be pleased

i've got a 2008 naked fz1.love it.it felt a bit flat compared to an r1 but after a mivv gp can,power commander and 1 tooth smaller front sprocket you can hardly tell the difference.its a rocket if you're in the mood or trundles along very nicely if you're in a sensible mood.

I have a 2007 Fizzer and out of the 10 or so bikes I've owned this is probably the best EVA. As to the question about who needs 140 hp. Try Ben Spies he needs 250 hp and certainly knows how to use it.:drools:

I currently have a r1, but i am thinking about getting a fZ1. Is there anyone that can help me compare the two. I have never been on a fz1. I have ridin a fz6. I liked the way it felt. The riding position but the power was lacking. Can someone help me.

I changed from an 06 R1 to a 08 FZ1s. Reason? Riding postion.

If you can realy use the top end power of the R1 then it might be a miss, THB Can you/do you? It was rare for me to even dip in to it. I tended to ride between 5 and 10 k anyway.
Now I am getting used to the fz the only thing I miss(?) is the sharper handling at speed. Low to medium speed handling I would rate as better/easier. Everything else is bril. Plenty mid range, better low down power, top end not missed.
The R1 edged it, just for mpg. That could be aerodynamics? It could be the hooligan influence. Make no mistake thie FZ can be a hooligan bike.
Wet roads that were 'bum clenchers' on the old bike are more easily dealt with.

My mate summed it up on Sunday, another fz1s owner, when I was singing the bikes praises to other bikers out with us: 'Dont tell everyone our secret. They will all want one'.
Couldnt put it any better!lolup

Hi - well I owned an 05 R1 and traded it for an 07 FZ1. I loved the R1 but after a long day in the saddle just could not face sitting on my wrists any longer! I test road the naked FZ1 but could not hang on! so opted for the faired version. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed in changing over..it is important that you understand that the Fazer is not as focussed as the R1. But neither should it be. It provides a great all round package of play vs touring and I just love it. I have added the PC111, K&N, Micron and had the bike dyno'd which has given the bike an honest 139rwhp which provides me with the mumbo i personally love in my bikes. The R1 will smoke almost any FZ1 right outta the box (even with most minor mods done to the fazer) so I do not subscribe to the views of some that the FZ1 will stay with an R1 but I do not believe that is something that you are concerened with? Go get one - you will see why there are so many satisfied owners out there.

Back