These *$^%# Gateway Laptops!

I've been procrastinating with this MA Series from Gateway which needed the power socket replaced. It took longer to break the machine down to the board than to solder the new jack in place. I will never understand why they would have 2gigs of Ram, huge hard drives, upper level video and sound, internal wireless broadband, DVD burner, yet use the crappiest power socket you can find!! Oh I know why! So they can charge you $125.00 to $140.00 dollars plus shipping to replace it. And thats for a 10 dollar power socket! Thats must be why they practically give them away. They can make more money fixing them. I wasn't going to charge an arm and a leg because the guy is my friend, but because his laptop ate into the time I was going to check out mounting spots for the BikeVis Lights, I'm gonna have to hammer him!! LOL!

There had to be 60 screws holding this thing together! From now on I'll stick to desktops. Less labor and headaches.
Gateway001.jpg

Gateway002.jpg

Sorry for my ranting and raving. I felt the need for some venting. I feel much better now.

good for you Billy.... I took a laptop apart once... and there was no putting it back together... I think a hammer and a 14" flat blade screwdriver were involved at various points...

lolup Now thats a good one Aaron. Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind. Fortunately, it's here charging now, so it should be okay. Thanks!

wouldn't if have been cheaper to just go out and buy another el-cheapo?

Only my tower PC have ever been that dirty -- it is a wonder it lasted as long as it did....

gateway=crapway....yet my wife insists on buying them b/c of their "good deal" -- and out of the ones she has bought, two have crapped out within days of their warranty expiring....

glad you were able to resurrect the dead.....good trade for your Highvis lights...

Good for you. I have broken apart hundreds of them in my career. I can honestly say I might not have broken it apart if it were my own.

I tell you what. When you are done you really feel like you accomplishe3d something. Just don't expect the wife to be as impressed as yuou are with yourself. lol ...if she is anything mike my wife.

I hear you

Good for you. I have broken apart hundreds of them in my career. I can honestly say I might not have broken it apart if it were my own.

I tell you what. When you are done you really feel like you accomplishe3d something. Just don't expect the wife to be as impressed as yuou are with yourself. lol ...if she is anything mike my wife.

Oh you mean, like when I have just done something for the first time on the bike and I (lose my mind) and tell my wife. Her eyes just glaze over halfway through the first sentence and I KNOW that she is just hearing,"Bla Bla Blah". "Thats nice dear.:nothing:"

I got rid of mine 10 years ago, so I have to settle for patting myself on the back. :yes:

Back