There's got to be an easier way

To change a tire. Do you guys have special tools you guys like? Certain magical tire irons perhaps? Just changed my tire and man just the removing of the tire from the rim was a nightmare, there's got to be an easier way! Saw the videos on youtube but still, it seems as though the damn tires are too small, which I know they're not but still. I mean when you sit there just begging the damn thing to go in or out it's bad! Please let me know what tire irons you use. Thanks.

I imagine it may just come down to technique. When I was younger, I got a job at a tire shop changing tires. The first couple weeks were a real hassle, especially for the big truck tires that had to be spooned on with 6 foot long irons & a sledgehammer--I just couldn't do it. The old experienced guys could do 4 in the time it might take me to do 1 and I wondered the same thing as you

It shouldn't be all too easy but it shouldn't be too difficult. Yes, it is technique... the key to getting it done is to insure the beads are completely broken down first then, when you are applying the first spoon, make sure the opposing side of the bead is in the center of the rim which gives you the most freeplay to pry with the spoon. It is important to have one long spoon that is your first lift of the bead that you can then secure to the wheel. Use two more spoons to start working away from the initial spoon while always checking the opposing side to insure it is in the lowest deepest center of the wheel. Once you are about half way, the rest should easily pop off the wheel. Do the same for the next bead.

To mount the tire, the wheel should be secured and you force as much of the first bead onto the rim with a BIG shove, then spoon it on from the sides working toward the opposing side away from you. Bead two for mounting can be the toughest but the more you can force on before spooning, the more you can place in that wheel center for freeplay.

I have two 11" Motion Pro spoons and the 16" Motion Pro spoon that I use for that first pull.

Dawn dish soap works really well as a lubricant for ez of removing and installing the tire. One thing the tire biz has taught me is that you can never have too much lube lol

If you are asking if there is an easy, painless way to do it the answer is no. No amount of tools or equipment will allow them to just slip on, which is why this is something I wouldn't even want to fool with. A tire shop has the tools and stands to do it pretty quickly, the $ paid to them are worth it. DIY is fine, but this is one project I'm not interested in.

I have found the fronts I can get it off and the new one on in less then five mins. The rear I couldn't get off so what I did was pry the bead up, and then cut through it with the dremel using the tire iron as the backstop so I didn't hit the rim. Then the rear came off fast with the steel belts cut lol. Rear going on was about ten mins, but getting it off was a nightmare.

I've never really figured out why tires are easier to get on than to get off. I suppose they are excited to get on the wheel and go riding just like me, and are reluctant to come off and never shred the asphalt again.

Believe me I thought about cutting the damn thing yesterday but someone asked me for it so I was trying to save it for them but man, what a freaking problem. This is my second time doing it but I was removing a new tire which could also have been the extra grief. I was able to get it but after 2 hours of changing it I was almost ready to go to Cycle gear. This is what I looked like except it was a tire... :deadhorse:

I have found the fronts I can get it off and the new one on in less then five mins. The rear I couldn't get off so what I did was pry the bead up, and then cut through it with the dremel using the tire iron as the backstop so I didn't hit the rim. Then the rear came off fast with the steel belts cut lol. Rear going on was about ten mins, but getting it off was a nightmare.

^^^ Hahaha! I've changed tire ONCE, that was about 1985. I had to use a hack saw to cut the old bead in order to remove the tire. All I had was 10" tire irons and screwdrivers. Never again.

Back