The Pace (by Nick Ienatsch)

"The Pace" by Nick Ienatsch
Source: Motorcyclist, Februay 2009

I just posted this to a group that's planning to ride the Pennsylvania twisties next week. I thought that it would be a good fit here as well. I pulled the original text from Motorcyclist magazine's online version (The Pace - Nick Ienatsch - Motorcyclist magazine). Follow that link to view the whole article (only a small excerpt is below).

I've been trying to follow "The Pace" since I first discovered it a few years ago. I noticed that my riding style was gravitating in this direction anyway, and it was reassuring to know that I wasn't the only one who found the enjoyment in the turns, not the straights.

I believe that this qualifies as "fair use" but if the mods deem that it needs to be removed (hopefully not resulting in a ban for my account!), I won't argue.

EXCERPT:
THE PACE
The Pace focuses on bike control and de-emphasizes outright speed. Full-throttle acceleration and last minute braking aren't part of the program, effectively eliminating the two most common single-bike accident scenarios in sport riding. Cornering momentum is the name of the game, stressing strong, forceful inputs at the handlebar to place the bike correctly at the entrance of the turn and get it flicked in with little wasted time and distance. Since the throttle wasn't slammed open at the exit of the last corner, the next corner doesn't require much, if any, braking. It isn't uncommon to ride with our group and not see a brake light flash all morning.

If the brakes are required, the front lever gets squeezed smoothly, quickly and with a good deal of force to set entrance speed in minimum time. Running in on the brakes is tantamount to running off the road, a confession that you're pushing too hard and not getting your entrance speed set early enough because you stayed on the gas too long. Running The Pace decreases your reliance on the throttle and brakes, the two easiest controls to abuse, and hones your ability to judge cornering speed, which is the most thrilling aspect of performance street riding.

I always read this in the spring before I take the bike out. Keeps me in check with the excitement of waking the beast after a long winter's nap. ;)

That's how I've always driven and that's how I ride. I learned to drive in an autocross environment where brakes are almost never touched. It's all about high cornering speeds and it's very satisfying.

This is excellent reading, whether it's the first time or the tenth time :) :+2::+2:

Last edited:
That's how I've always driven and that's how I ride. I learned to drive in an autocross environment where brakes are almost never touched. It's all about high cornering speeds and it's very satisfying.

This is excellent reading, whether it's the first time or the tenth time :) :+2::+2:

I used to AutoX as well. Its amazing how much riding a motorcycle helped me in AutoX and vice versa. Things happen so much quicker on a bike and it really slows things down for AutoX.

Back