The New Brough Superior

You got it, you read that right. The venerable Marque' Brough Superior is slated to be re-introduced. Save your money, you probably won't have enough anyway. Much like other British and a fiew European Legends, Brough is going to be making these outstandingly Elegant machines once again. They have shown at the 2009 Pebel Beach gathering, and the likes of people like Jay Leno were there. Of Course...... Jay has to have one, and honestly reguardless of what you think of Jay, I hope he gets there in time to aquire one. Someday I'm sure there will be a Jay Leno collection museum, it only makes sence. Lets see now, that comes on the heels of the re-birth of Norton, Maico and some are speculating on BSA, though I'v heard nothing other than a brief newsbite in a several year old Cycle World magazine.

It seems other European names are about to re-emerge also, I believe I saw something about Bi-moto....? It promices to be an exciting next fiew years as some of the old Marque's come back to life. Lets hope they fare better than the recent Excelsior Henderson of which the trend seemed to start.

It is kind of a cool looking retro but all you have to do is look at those exposed pushrods and you can see that it would be no good for today's motorcycle public. There would have to be oil all over the place in order to lube the point where the pushrod meets the rocker and that would go over like "a fart in church" and I have to believe the wear would also be unacceptable to most people. There are a couple brit bikes that have made a comback but they had to make a lot of genuine upgrades to make them able to withstand the rigors of modern riding. Royal Enfield and especially Triumph are proof than a Marque can be reborn (although Triumph never did completely stop production) and build a better machine than they did before their reorganization.

There promices to be Quite a resurgence or specialty built OLD MARQUE' bikes in the not too distant future. It seems theres a loyal following and the money to afford such toys by those typically well-off Baby Boomers who either couldnt afford one, or just became of age with means too late. I'v heard of others like Vincent, which was pretty nice, but used an RC51 for powering the bike. Enfield has been in production I believe un-interupted since its founding and have quite a fiew options, includind some nice Cafe tanks and bodywork. Others like Britton, I don't think we'll see return, it sort of died with the maker a fiew years back.

While bikes like the Brough will be of course unrefined, (in terms of todays standards) with, as Lonerider59 stated 'exposed pushrods' such will also be the charm of this Steed. I'm sure the owners will dress in period costume. I'm sure oil stained right thigh and knee breeches will be acceptable, if not expected and looked for. Sure the 'New Antiques' will find a niche in collectors circles, and possably us mere mortals might be able. This economic depression will lift and everyone will race to get in the game and not be left behind, and as always there will be waiting lines for certain goods. And while some re-creations will be of antiquated design, none the less there will be buyers lining up. New tech componants that can be hidden surely will be used, bearings, cranks, cams, chains, etc. etc, also tooling like CNC machines will make otherwise lost and forgotten methods of machining a breeze. I'll be content with my 05 FZ1, very content, but mabe my Son might be tempted as he makes the dollars needed to play the game.

Back