The HOT seat

The FZ1 is the worst crotch cooker I've ever owned in 28 years of riding.

I used some cardboard with heat tape and heat reflective material under the seat and blocked the gap around the bottom of the tank in front of the seat.

Made a BIG difference .

Could you maybe post some pictures? I'm curious as the temperature gets higher and higher

It's interesting that so many people are commenting about the "hot seat" on the FZ1. I notice only very mild heat, even riding in the summer and sitting at traffic lights. My bike is not stock however. Full exhaust system means there are no catylitic convertors in the exhaust (stock bike has two). I also have a Power Commander to adjust the fuel mix. And finally I have the Ignition Module for the PC. I would suspect that one if not all three of these mods has had an impact on the heat output of my bike while running. I know that the coolant temps run lower with the ignition module and running Ivan's E map the bike is more on the rich side than lean through the rev range. Not having the front cat might make the most difference on seat heat?

Of course the bike pulls like a freight train and delivers smooth power too. No more hot seat? Perhaps yet another reason to improve on the "factory tuning" that Yamaha left us with. . . .

One more thought . . .If the front cat is a major contributor (don't really know for sure) then perhaps some additional heat shielding immediately above it would stop some of the heat right at a source?

Last edited:
FWIW, the stock seat LENDS to this heating issue. The Top Saddlery seat has a nice "saddle horn" of material that closes off the gap between the tank and seat. End of issue for me! I can't ever say I was THAT hot with the stock seat though.

Sorry for reviving such an old post, but this is exactly the same thing that is happening to me.

I recently bought a used Yamaha FZ1N of 2009 (I had a Honda Hornet before) and during the winter I felt like the seat got too hot and thought: "Damn, this might be a problem during the Summer".

Well, summer has arrived and that is indeed a problem. I live in Lisbon, Portugal where the temperatures during summer can get up to 35/40 ºC and I need to solve this before the peak of hotness comes. Can someone send me the link for cheap solutions? I can't seem to find the thread.

Also, what about a non-cheap solution? What can be done?

I thought my moto had some problem but apparently all the FZ1s and R1 have this thing.What a stupid thing that Yamaha did to they motos, very disappointing.

Sorry for reviving such an old post, but this is exactly the same thing that is happening to me.

I recently bought a used Yamaha FZ1N of 2009 (I had a Honda Hornet before) and during the winter I felt like the seat got too hot and thought: "Damn, this might be a problem during the Summer".

Well, summer has arrived and that is indeed a problem. I live in Lisbon, Portugal where the temperatures during summer can get up to 35/40 ºC and I need to solve this before the peak of hotness comes. Can someone send me the link for cheap solutions? I can't seem to find the thread.

Also, what about a non-cheap solution? What can be done?

I thought my moto had some problem but apparently all the FZ1s and R1 have this thing.What a stupid thing that Yamaha did to they motos, very disappointing.

I never did anything and just suffer through the summer. I did get a lithium ion battery and that seemed to reduce some heat but not much.

Reflashing the ECU reduces the heat a fair bit. The fans come on earlier and the modified timing reduces heat especially when sitting at the lights.

@Ssky0078

For me that's not a possibility. I can't arrive all sweaty at work... And also it is almost unbearable during long trips in the city.

@ballmead

ECU=Electrical Control Unit? How do you reflash it?

Hi guys,

So in my never ending saga of learning about life on a motorcycle I've encoutnered a new issue.

I was riding home today and began to get a really hot seat. I mean ridiculously hot. It was as hot or hotter than my Fz6 with the undertail exhaust.

When on the side streets until I got on the freeway I kept getting to 216 on the thermostat and the radiator fan would kick on. I got on the freeway for about 8 miles of ride and the best the engine would cool down to is 180.

The only thing that I may have done that would create this problem is that when I switched out the clutch perch for the Fz8 clutch perch I stripped the screw that held the switch that is underneath the clutch perch and has the little button that is depressed when the clutch is out and goes out when the clutch is pulled in. I went to the shop and got the screw drilled out but I need to figure out a replacement tomorrow or have to order from partshark.com

The whole ride I was affraid my crotch was going to burst into flames, turning me into a literal crotch rocket. I kept thinking this because of a lot of recent talk of batteries breaking down, melting and in one case a guys bike caught fire

I got home and checked under the seat and the battery appears intact without any bubbling or leaks.

So, what is that switch for and can I have done something to really mess my bike up?

Tomorrow is maintenance day. I have on the schedule an oil change, radiator fluid change, air filter change. My Morgan Carbtune didn't show up yet but I was going to hope it came in like british time, kinda like when the royal canadian mail showed up at 1 am to deliver my Fz6 windshield.

The only other thing that seems to have started around the time the bike started heating up more is that there is a clicking noise at around 3500 rpms on up till about 6000 rpm. Don't know if it is related or something else.

Any help will be appreciated.

Changing to leather helps a lot, and you can also put a piece of leather against the plastic pan.

I had two small holes in my seat that looked like it came from shrinking or maybe sun damage, so I went to tandy to get some leather. They had leather just for motorcycle seats, and it was $280 for enough leather to do about 6000 seats, which I clearly did not need.

I looked in the scraps which were way too small and they also had a $50 table, where all on that table were $50. I got a piece of white 3mm soft cow hide leather that was about 15 square feet. Still way too much, but only $50.

I also bought the $28 pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight, which turned out to be very important.

I used the same padding and it was easier to do that I thought. In a few instances, I removed the staples and then re-pulled the leather in a few places. I also moistened the leather with a steam cleaner before stretching it. After the leather dried, it formed to the two cupped places at the rear of the rider seat and the front of the passenger seat. I was very happy how it turned out. Here is a picture.Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 1.08.55 AM.png

Back