The FZ1 above 7k is NUTS.

Why did the "2 Cycle" street bike die? They were FAST. In 73 I borrowed a friends CB175 to take my CA DMV test.

He also had an RD350. He blew away CB750s at the light all the time on that little Yamaha.

Why did the "2 Cycle" street bike die? They were FAST. In 73 I borrowed a friends CB175 to take my CA DMV test.

He also had an RD350. He blew away CB750s at the light all the time on that little Yamaha.

The Honda CB175 was a four stroker. I believe all the Honda street bikes were four strokes, their dirt bikes were two strokers.

The RD350, Suzuki X-6 and Kawas were all quick 600cc or less two strokes but the emissions laws killed them.

Weren't 2 strokes quite a bit more unreliable as well? I'm not so sure I'd want to own a bike that required a teardown every 20,000 miles

Weren't 2 strokes quite a bit more unreliable as well? I'm not so sure I'd want to own a bike that required a teardown every 20,000 miles

2-Strokes were very reliable. They would reliably break down every 3 months!

Seriously, though, 2-strokes did require frequent rebuilds, but a top end job is way easier than a valve adjustment on an FZ1. I know guys that carry top ends for their 2-stroke snowmobiles in their backpacks. They can do the job on the side of the trail in the dark at -15 degrees with a vice-grip and a flat screwdriver, without even taking their mitts off.

Back