The FZ1 above 7k is NUTS.

Sactown2008

How fast these bikes get to 85mph in 4th gear is NUTS.

I am always concerned about this slow loop and "No Merging Lane" I have to access two mornings a week on my way to work.

MOST of the time no one is coming up on my tail, as I try to merge onto the 160 into downtown. This morning I had three cars in both lanes doing 60-65 as I come into their lanes. I crank the throttle in 3rd and IFLY IN FRONT AND AHEAD OF THEM SO FAST, THEY ARE 50 YARDS behind me in a second. I shift to 4th, 5th, then 6th as fast as I can because the 08 is screaming and I am at 85mph. It was so surprising, I never had time to look down to see my RPMs.

Amazing.

The Arden Loop.jpg

yep they really start to move above 7k

if you think the FZ1 is crazy, you should try a R6 or R1. Those are really to different bikes between low and higher rpm

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

ATL_3679.jpg

ya just stupid. First time I did second gear and ripped throttle to almost wide open at 6k I took it to 12k and it was stupid fast. took my breath away I was not ready for that.

since then ive gotten used to the bike and done a few more. really though, all these bikes seem so gentle and nice until you get into the power, and then holy crap!

A co-worker just told me about his family reunion.

They were driving to the airport in Wyoming Sunday (to come back to CA), "A red and white Sport Bike flew by our little rental like we were parked." The rider had no helmet on, so his long hair was flying in the wind. Co-worker's wife asked that he please never ride on their HD, "like that kid that just flew by." About 45 minutes later a State trooper is blocking them from taking their off ramp to another highway. On the small detour, they see the red and white rice-rocket piled up on it's handlebars over the side of the 45 degree off ramp, with a large yellow plastic tarp over a body, "It looked like he over-shot the curve."

VERY sad. No wonder I am so conservative. Be safe out their folks.

ya just stupid. First time I did second gear and ripped throttle to almost wide open at 6k I took it to 12k and it was stupid fast. took my breath away I was not ready for that.

since then ive gotten used to the bike and done a few more. really though, all these bikes seem so gentle and nice until you get into the power, and then holy crap!

They are still so "Quick" in the 4-6k range, from 3rd to 5th, I rarely need to get on the throttle to meet any merging or passing problems.

A co-worker just told me about his family reunion.

They were driving to the airport in Wyoming Sunday (to come back to CA), "A red and white Sport Bike flew by our little rental like we were parked." The rider had no helmet on, so his long hair was flying in the wind. Co-worker's wife asked that he please never ride on their HD, "like that kid that just flew by." About 45 minutes later a State trooper is blocking them from taking their off ramp to another highway. On the small detour, they see the red and white rice-rocket piled up on it's handlebars over the side of the 45 degree off ramp, with a large yellow plastic tarp over a body, "It looked like he over-shot the curve."

VERY sad. No wonder I am so conservative. Be safe out their folks.

Sad, yes, but speed and danger aren't mutually exclusive. Everything you do in life has a risk and anything can happen, but the aforementioned rider was reckless and stupid and that's why he crashed. No gear, no brains, no skill. He went faster than he was capable of and he crashed.

Since you got your bike, you're getting more comfortable and more skilled on it. You go a little bit faster, ride a little bit longer and you have more confidence in yourself and the machine. Nothing wrong with that.

85 in 4th? I hit that in 2nd gear. ;)

You should try a Stage IV modded machine with Ivan's flash.... if you are thinking "Here comes 7k! Hold on!" It's too late, because with all the stuff, about 5800 RPMs has the front lifting with you leaning on the tank. :Rockon:

Might ride the FZ1 from Sac to Bakersfield soon (to try and talk my 85 year old reclusive dad into letting me help him clean up his clutter). He is down to eight cats. We've done the 275 miles twice a year in a car for the last 30 years. Going to do it on the FZ1, just to get in more "seat time." Might come back via Santa Barbara then onto to 101 home.

I agree with Dustin's, "you're getting more comfortable and more skilled on it." Track day lessons, someday.

Here is a photo from my Sunday in the Patron Hosptality tent at Sonoma. I'm in the middle. Alexis almost got to the finals. It was GREAT to see Steve Savoire make it to the final round in Pro Stock Bike on his Suzuki.

My Sunday at Sonoma Track.jpgWar2.jpg

I remember back in the 70s when I got my new GS750 ('77 in 1976). It was tame at anything below 3,500 rpm but once you hit that it ripped (as much as rip was back then). Today I have a 2012 FZ1 unmodded that makes that one look like a snail.

I'm glad I'm 35 years older and a tad more conservative with the throttle. But it's still fun hitting 130+ mph and still not at the redline.

Might ride the FZ1 from Sac to Bakersfield soon (to try and talk my 85 year old reclusive dad into letting me help him clean up his clutter). He is down to eight cats. We've done the 275 miles twice a year in a car for the last 30 years. Going to do it on the FZ1, just to get in more "seat time." Might come back via Santa Barbara then onto to 101 home.

I agree with Dustin's, "you're getting more comfortable and more skilled on it." Track day lessons, someday.

Here is a photo from my Sunday in the Patron Hosptality tent at Sonoma. I'm in the middle. Alexis almost got to the finals. It was GREAT to see Steve Savoire make it to the final round in Pro Stock Bike on his Suzuki.

View attachment 21054View attachment 21055

Take Hwy 49 down! Nice road!

You should try a Stage IV modded machine with Ivan's flash.... if you are thinking "Here comes 7k! Hold on!" It's too late, because with all the stuff, about 5800 RPMs has the front lifting with you leaning on the tank. :Rockon:

Were do I get those?

Did I tell you how happy I am to have "a beast" like this "at 60" (married 34 years, kids gone, one grandkid, maybe retire in 5) than when I was 25? Back in the mid 70s, my ex was trying to buy me the new KZ900LTD, but changed her mind because I would not get back together(the longest 7 months of my life).

If I had that Kawasaki at 25 I would NOT be typing this today.

TOO much to loose to be stupid and careless.

That is what I was thinking. I can hit 85 at the top of Second gear and get the front end to pop up a few inches as I shift into 3rd on my 1st Gen with a Full Yoshimura Exhaust being the only mod on the bike.

There is a nice long on-ramp to the freeway where I leave one of my clients, and a great once in a while I get the bug to push it for a few seconds. But like the OP, I spend most of my time below 6k RPM's.

There is a nice long on-ramp to the freeway where I leave one of my clients, and a great once in a while I get the bug to push it for a few seconds. But like the OP, I spend most of my time below 6k RPM's.

I have a similar long ramp, uphill, leaving work and love to wind it up when I get there and no one is in front of me. :D And yes, most of the time, below 6k as well.

A month ago, some dweeb in a RAV4 decided to crowd me out of "two lanes into one" on a long up hill freeway onramp. He was trying to race me onto the freeway and I was in the left lane. "Are you kidding me?" I did not even down shift. I gave her a handle full, shifted into 4th, got to 85mph in an instant and he is now 100 yards back charging onto the freeway with that 4 banger Toyota. I just shook by head, "What were you thinking?"

The only other street-bike I’ve owned (decades ago) was a ’77 Suzuki GT-550 (2-stroke triple.) It had awesome low and mid-range torque. But it only had an 8000rpm redline and was “done” at about 7k. Really no top end (above 60-mph) at all. Still – it was quick off the line, and I could either burn the tire or lift the front (1st/2nd gear.) A high-school classmate with Honda "550-Four" would always challenge me at stop-signs or red-lights – and I would destroy him. I’d have him by 10 bike-lengths by about 30mph.

Now… the FZ1… For hundreds of miles when I first got it, I kept it below 5k rpms due to all the talk here on the forum. (I wanted to “master” the handling and braking the best I could before dealing with the power.) Honestly – when being more aggressive on the throttle (below 5k) I’d always think – man… my 550 was more fun than this. Of course – that was before I ever went over 6k, and then on to the magic at 8k. I believe my first 8k+ full-throttle pull was in 3rd-gear on a straight, 4-lane road with nary a car in-sight. It caught me by surprise, then scared me. As I rolled off the throttle, I believe my jaw was hanging in disbelief. I then felt pain in my lower abdomen, and realized I racked myself on the gas tank while pulling hard on the bars keeping me in the seat… It’s a lot more fun now – knowing what’s coming. :)

Back