The Evolution of my new FZ1

I picked up my first FZ1 Feb. 9th, 2011, and I thought I'd start a thread about the mods I do, including prices and locations of purchase, to help anyone else with similar mods in mind. I intend to use my FZ for touring, which are what the majority of my mods are aimed towards. I don't plan to track it. I'll post pics when I can.

Oh, all the prices are rounded to the dollar and include whatever taxes and shipping costs there were (if any).

First, the bike -- 2010 Yamaha FZ1 (Raven). Bought new from a dealer in San Jose, CA (had like 1.5 miles on it after the mechanic did his test ride). Turns out the '10 raven is a metallic black, which I never knew. Paid $10,818 out the door. Price included a 4-year extended warranty (5 years total), frame sliders, axle sliders, and a tank protector. On the ride home, I quickly realized the stock windshield is junk. My BMW with NO windshield feels about the same. This led to my first mod...

ZeroGravity Sport Touring Windshield -- $81 (powersportsuperstore.com). I first considered the aftermarket Yamaha windshield, but ended up going with the ZG because it was the same size and cheaper. I also felt the ZG would probably offer more protection because it is contoured. And I liked the tinted look. Installation was easy (5-10 min). I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet (dang rain) but will post performance reviews when I do.

Givi E55 Maxia (matt black) -- $306 (from helmetheadcycle.com). I wanted a good size, hard top case. There were tons of brands to choose from. Givi seems to be one of the more popular brands and has one of the bigger cases. Ultimately I think what sold me on Givi was the lack of information on other brands. There were plenty of pictures and threads about Givi cases but not much on other brands. I felt that with a Givi case I had a good idea about what I was getting. I'm hoping the Givi top case will be big enough by itself that I don't have to buy saddlebags. I'm expecting to be riding solo most of my trips, but I would still like to have the option of bringing a passenger along, so my only concern is that the Givi top case will partially cover the rear seat. I'm still waiting for my rack to arrive, but the case is here and seems to be fine quality. We'll see how she holds up on the road. Oh and on I side note, I got my case in like 3 or 4 days. Couldn't believe it.

SW-Motech Alu-Rack (incl. Givi Monokey Adaptor) -- $204 (from twistedthrottle.com). Shipping was $30 (ouch) but this was the only website I could find that sold the SW Motech rack. I went with the Alu-Rack over any of the Givi racks because if I end up putting saddlebags on my bike, I want the quick release racks that SW-Motech makes so the bike looks cleaner when I'm not using them. Also, Givi's website is poorly designed and does a terrible job of explaining which rack to buy with which case. Still waiting for the rack to arrive...

MIVV GP Carbon Fiber Slip On -- $404 (from pjsparts.com). After many hours on youtube listening to clips of exhaust pipes, I decided on the D&D exhaust. It is reasonably priced and sounds amazing! Only problem is they don't make a D&D pipe for the GenII bikes. So back to drawing board. The GYTR pipe sounded pretty good, but not as deep as I liked and retails for $450+ (ouch!). I should also mention that, while sound was most important to me, whatever pipe I ended up with had to look good on the bike. I like the "dirt bike" style pipes, like the M4, and pipes that look like the D&D or MIVV GP. On a side note, the M4 slip on I have on my SV650S sounds simply AMAZING. I have gotten numerous compliments on the way it sounds from people that don't really care much about how their bike sounds. But my SV is a V-Twin and I'm not sure how the M4 would sound on the FZ1...sadly I couldn't find an audio clip of one. I considered most brands, but eventually settled on the MIVV GP. It sounds and looks rad. I felt it was a bit pricey at $404, but eventually decided the extra $100 or so it cost was worth it and bit the bullet. I had trouble deciding between the carbon fiber and titanium...I preferred the titanium but wasn't sure how it would look on the raven and couldn't find any good pictures of one on a raven, so I played it safe and went with the CF.

So thats it so far. Once I build my bank account back up, I'd like to purchase a gold radiator guard from www.rad-armor.com; I'd also really like to get a fender eliminator kit and smaller turn signals (front and rear), but find it absolutely ridiculous that FE kits run $100+ basically for a piece of metal. Same with those flush mount signals...I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend that kind of money simply out of principle. I'll probably look into a cheap pair of LED signals on ebay or something...

Last edited:
The bug

Good on you, your quick to catch the bug and start modifying your new FZ1. I put the Givi V46 top box on 14 months ago and really like it, fitted it myself and agree the fitting kit etc is hard to sus-out on there web site. The 120Km/h speed limit was a joke, Ive been to 220Km/h with my top box and touring windscreen but if its fullup with heavy stuff watchout cause it can topple you over easy. Your on the right track with a slipon, I chose the GYTR Carbon.

:welcome: to the forum and the wallet drain! ;) It's a horrible bug to catch but I can never find a cure myself except running out of stuff to mod which I'm close to now. :D

Pics will come, once I get the mods on...so far, only my windshield and Givi case have arrived. Hopefully I'll get the rack tomorrow to mount the case. Exhaust is supposed to show up friday.

Hopefully I will have time to update this post tomorrow; I've done more mods.

The ZG ST windshield is by far better than the stock one. The buffet is gone until I hit 75-80mph. I was hoping it would be gone all together, but I doubt any shield would eliminate it completely. Plus it'll be nice to have some airflow for the summer.

I'm about 5-6 or 5-7 and 150 lbs. Sitting on the bike my eye level is over the top of the windshield.

+1 on Pics

I want to do the oppsite and get a doublebubble shorty this spring to get clean air. I'd like to see your touring set up some time if you are up on I-80. I'm only ten minutes from Colfax. Give me a shout if your riding up this way toward Tahoe. Doug

i got a fe from a guy on fleabay, creese1, its a quality peice has a fz1 logo laser cut in, its black powder coated, and heres the kicker... w led signals and led plate light... around 60.00 bux. looks really good. lemme know if ud like some pix.

How do I post pictures? Do I need to upload them to some other site first, such as photobucket? Or can I upload them directly?

Note: When I tried uploading them to photobucket, the pictures turned out HUGE when posted here...even after I edited their size to small. WTF...

Wow, that was a large box. I don't know what SW-Motech sets as maximum load but Givi recommends no more than 37 liter box and 6 kg (13,2 pound) load on Gen II.

In my opinion the topbox is the second most dangerous thing for a motorcycle.

just a note...if use photobucket, use the http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/....[img] tags and you'll get a decent sized picture without having any restrictions on file size.

just a note, create a specific album so that way you do not care what is in there and not going through albums and delete something that breaks the link whever you posted...

contact member 'jwheelan' (sp?) or do a search on radiator guards -- many have used his product (gen I/II) and are quite happy with its performance.

Welcome to the forum and happy modding!

Adam

That is a honking big box .... I assume it is detachable.

FE kits do tend to be pricey but you get what you pay for, imo. You an get ones for $40 or so that are made out of aluminum, or pay $109 (and up) for one like Evotech that is CNC, powder coated aluminum that can directly use the stock signals, and looks like it came from the factory. They all provide a simple function of holding the plate and turn signals. All this stuff is nothing but toys, so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Last edited:
i had to assemble the parts and they had sent a three lite block its leds and work very well.

Back