The Dragon: Hell Roads

I had never seen this show, "Hell Roads", but I was lost in YouTube (as often happens) and I found this clip from the Discovery channel about the Tail of the Dragon. I haven't had the pleasure of riding there, so I found this interesting. I thought others would enjoy it and perhaps some members that have been there could comment. I know it's a little over dramatic (I mean the show is called "Hell Roads"), but I figure there's enough info to make it entertaining.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16YnmJN0fc]Hell Roads - Tail of the Dragon - YouTube[/ame]

I had never seen this show, "Hell Roads", but I was lost in YouTube (as often happens) and I found this clip from the Discovery channel about the Tail of the Dragon. I haven't had the pleasure of riding there, so I found this interesting. I thought others would enjoy it and perhaps some members that have been there could comment. I know it's a little over dramatic (I mean the show is called "Hell Roads"), but I figure there's enough info to make it entertaining.

Hell Roads - Tail of the Dragon - YouTube

Have a couple of similar roads here in Aus, one runs from Kinglake to Hurstbridge & is pretty much first gear only for about 5km, the other is "scratchers nirvana" the Reefton Spur 19km with approx 165 bends lots of first & second gear stuff absolutely awesome.Lots of single bike accidents but I dont think we have as many deaths.
Looks like an awesome ride though.

Great video they put together. Thanks for that Troy. Having been there myself, these dangers are real. There is some good news this year. North Carolina banned trucks from their end of the Dragon, thus if coming from TN, the trucks cannot come in and need to turn around. The TN side is shorter. NC is not pressuring TN to place signage stating "NO THROUGH TRUCKS" at the turn to the Dragon. :tup:

Regardless of trucks, it is a grueling technical road that requires 100% attention.

Looks like an interesting ride (except for the semi -trailer's!!!). I'll second what Fangn said about the Reefton Spur road here in Victoria (and many other twisty's too). Great viewing the video. Cheers.

Nice find Troy! Video was well put together. They definitely interviewed the "right" locals for it.

I have ridden the Dragon just to say I did it, but really have no desire to go back to it. Definitely a very dangerous road and banning trucks will make it somewhat safer, but there are still plenty of other hazards on it...

Nice find on the vid.......if you ever get a chance you have to do it once.
I've gone 3 years in a row, and the 5 guys I ride with are on there 8th year I think. They are heading up in May, I have a newborn....so can't make it.
We spend a week, but only do the Dragon twice.

You have to do it on Mon-Tues or Wed.....minimum traffic and cops.....thurs to Sun....all the rookies are out and everyone and their moms: oops:

Most times we go we have a clear path with only a couple passes to be made. We also use a scout who runs a few turns in front for traffic and cops....since we all wear communication, we know whats ahead.

Gotta watch for drivers or riders who go to fast and have to cross the line to make the corner.
There are worst roads up there though that are not as famous....I went down on Blood Mountain last year......makes the Dragon a pussycat.

Last year on the Dragon in May.

Attachments

• user3706_pic2723_1331779480[1].jpg
    user3706_pic2723_1331779480[1].jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 62
  • user3706_pic2724_1331779480[1].jpg
    user3706_pic2724_1331779480[1].jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Have a couple of similar roads here in Aus, one runs from Kinglake to Hurstbridge & is pretty much first gear only for about 5km, the other is "scratchers nirvana" the Reefton Spur 19km with approx 165 bends lots of first & second gear stuff absolutely awesome.Lots of single bike accidents but I dont think we have as many deaths.
Looks like an awesome ride though.

There are not that many deaths and most accidents are single bike. This show was full of crap... The raod is awsome with a lot of first and second gear turns and a few places to open the bike up. I'll agree that there are better roads in the area, I'm just not willing to share them!

Last edited:
Nice find on the vid.......if you ever get a chance you have to do it once.
I've gone 3 years in a row, and the 5 guys I ride with are on there 8th year I think. They are heading up in May, I have a newborn....so can't make it.
We spend a week, but only do the Dragon twice.

You have to do it on Mon-Tues or Wed.....minimum traffic and cops.....thurs to Sun....all the rookies are out and everyone and their moms: oops:

Most times we go we have a clear path with only a couple passes to be made. We also use a scout who runs a few turns in front for traffic and cops....since we all wear communication, we know whats ahead.

Gotta watch for drivers or riders who go to fast and have to cross the line to make the corner.
There are worst roads up there though that are not as famous....I went down on Blood Mountain last year......makes the Dragon a pussycat.

Last year on the Dragon in May.

What speedlimit is on this road?

I've been to Tail Of The Dragon six times so far. INCREDIBLE road. I've ridden up and down the Dragon at least 50 times. If you ever go, go during the week. It can get a little crazy on the weekends when the weather is nice. 318 turns in 11 miles. Also if you go be sure to ride the Cherohola Skyway while you're in the area. Not as much "tight" twisty stuff, more sweepers, and much better scenery then The Dragon. And "Two Wheel Inn" in Robbinsville is not far away. Nice little hotel. Nothing fancy but each room has its own adjacent bike garage that you can fit two motorcycles into and lock up overnight. I just picked up my FZ1 a couple of weeks ago and hope to make it out to The Dragon with the bike within the next couple of months. It's a really good road to get a feel for a bike with. :tup:

I am going in june. I have driven the dragon in my colorado, but never ridden it. I cruised this whole area for a week straight and I can also attest to much better roads. I was there on a thursday at about 4 pm, and two motorcyclist ruined the whole drive for us. It really left a bad taste my mouth. I almost got hit by a guy on a zx14 easily doing 100 past the "gift shop"

Back