The devils highway

For fathers day my brother and I took our dad for a little moto adventure in AZ and NM. We left from Tucson and took a boring 3 hour highway trip to Clifton. We took the 191 from Clifton which is where the fun started. The rode is known as the devils highway because it used to be called Route 666. The rode was incredible with 15 mph hairpins all over the place. I believe there is like 500 corners from Clifton to Alpine. The road was great although a guardrail would have been nice as there was usually a steep drop off on one side of the road. The weather once we got into the mountains was great. We got a little rain but nothing unnerving. The scenery was beautiful. We stayed the night in a little cabin just south of Alpine. From there we rode to Pine Top and took a scenic route on the way there that was incredible, a combination of fast sweeping corners and tight hairpins with good road conditions and great views. We back through Alpine and took the 180 east into New Mexico and followed in south. This road was not quite as fun as the 191 but road conditions were better and it had plenty of fast sweepers making it worth the trip. We got on the 78 west and took it back into AZ which became my favorite leg of the trip with great road quality and every type of corner imaginable. Even a few roller coaster style turns that were almost 360 degrees. I doubled back a couple times to retry some of the corners (both my brother and father were on cruisers so there was plenty of time :angel:. The only crappy part of the trip was the 3 hours of freeway back to Tucson during the hottest part of the day. Well over 100 degrees. Overall an awesome trip and plan to do it a couple more times this year as well as some more exploring of northern AZ.

i love going up there. i usually go up there with my SV buddies. did you stay at hannagan meadows? thats what the pictures from the deck look like.

i think we are going to go up there before fall or maybe up to CO again.

i love going up there. i usually go up there with my SV buddies. did you stay at hannagan meadows? thats what the pictures from the deck look like.

i think we are going to go up there before fall or maybe up to CO again.

Yes it is. I definitely want to go back. CO would be awesome.

Funny, my husband and I are thinking of doing this route (the devils highway)....we've rode most of Colorado.
And you should be safe to do Million Dollar in the fall, they are chip sealing it right now though :(

i think they were doing that up by Durango when we we up there a couple years ago. i hate that stuff.

191 (devil's highway) is really nice, great curves and great scenery.

Back