The dealer told me that...

Rodizle

I went to my local dealer today. I really want to get my surging between 4,000-6,000 RPM fixed. I asked if they have heard of this problem and they said yes. they told me that I need to put a Power Comander on and get it tuned on the dyno. I dont understand, I bought the bike and payed a lot of money and its not tuned? :banghead:

Is there another fix for this that is not going to cost me 700. bucks?:deadhorse:
I also asked about the FCE and they said that that thing was crapp.

My bike has done this for around 15 weeks and it started before I put on a GTYR slipon on the bike.

Is the bike brand new? Has any one lifted the gas tank? It may be that the fuel line is kinked. I do not recall any surging with mine. If the fuel line is kinked its a pretty simple fix with some 8mm fuel line hose and fuel injector hose clamps. It's call Blindspots unkinkable fuel line fix. You remove the stock fuel line from its fitting and replace it withe the rubber line and fittings. I don't know if we have a detailed guide here but on the other site search Blindspots unkinkable and you will see a good tutorial.

Is the bike brand new? Has any one lifted the gas tank? It may be that the fuel line is kinked. I do not recall any surging with mine. If the fuel line is kinked its a pretty simple fix with some 8mm fuel line hose and fuel injector hose clamps. It's call Blindspots unkinkable fuel line fix. You remove the stock fuel line from its fitting and replace it withe the rubber line and fittings. I don't know if we have a detailed guide here but on the other site search Blindspots unkinkable and you will see a good tutorial.

The bike has around 2600 miles on it now. I bought it new from the dealer and the tank has never been lifted. Oh and It is a 2008.

My 08 does that ever so slightly and I didn't notice till I made an exhaust for it. If they say its the tuning and they are a yamaha dealer they should have the tools to reflash your ECU so you don't have to do the power commander. All though from my research that would be the way to go if you have a mod bug like everyone else here lol. Don't fall prey to the salesman they are there to make money and thats it. He doesn't care if the 350.00 unit he sells ya fixed it or not. I'd just talk with the tech if they have time.

If you plan on altering your intake or exhaust you will reap the benefits of a PCIII or V but I never noticed any surging on my 08. But the again, I didn't own it very long before I added my MIVV can and PCIII. Some new bikes do have a lean spot here or there and it will be detected by a suring at steady throttle at particular engine speeds and loading. You should be able to avoid the surging by staying away from the rpm where you are experiencing it now, just speed up a bit or slow down a it. I'm not sure how much your dealer can do about altering the ECU to change the fueling. I do know Triump dealers can do it wth a new "tune" but I've never heard of Yamaha dalers doing it.

I had noticed my fueling not being as precise when I got it but 14k miles later i dont notice.Mineis also an o8.I think i would try the PC if you plan on doing other mods its a good investment as well

A PC and a custom tune will solve the problem, but I agree $700 is a lot of coin. As mentioned see if they can reflash your ECU. I don't know if Yamaha ECUs can be reflashed as they lock them down. Where as Suzuki ECUs are very easy to access with a device such as a TEKA.

My Buell 1125R had a terrible surge at cruise. The solution was updated flashes to the ECU. Buell released three updates over about one year. Then I added a PC with a tune and it ran great.

Please keep us updated on how this turns out.

Not saying it isn't possible but I have never seen mention (here or on the other site) of a reflash of stock ECU as an option for our bikes.

Do some reading about the various performance upgrades; there is plenty of info on both forums.

IMHO, in stock form, the Gen IIs fueling, intake and exhaust "package" is pretty damn poor with a soft bottom end, and serious throttle snatch. The FCE is a worthwhile base upgrade as is swapping out the front sprocket to a 16 toother. To see major performance improvements a Power Commander, aftermarket air filter w airbox modification, smaller (or removed/zipped) secondary throttle butterfiles, and exhaust upgrade coupled with a proper map for the commander will completely transform the machine. The GenII has been around since 06 and the path to performance is pretty clearly laid out and well tested. There are plenty of free maps available for download and I personally think you would be wasting your $ paying for a cutom tune. There are also a number of different opinions but with a little reading here and on the other site you should be able to make an informed decision.

I personally wouldn't ask the dealer for advice

I know when the Gen II first came out in '06 there were issues with the overall performance along the lines you relate. They have made some changes over the years to the ECU mapping that has alleviated those issues but I don't know if the '08 was included. I've only had my '09 for a couple of weeks but it is rock steady on the highway at all throttle openings, no surging at all. I agree buying a bike retailing for around $9,500 should give you a good product and I've had good luck with Yamaha products in this regard. Yours may be one that is just out of spec as it came from the factory, and in that case you'll have to go the PC route to get it to run better.

Not saying it isn't possible but I have never seen mention (here or on the other site) of a reflash of stock ECU as an option for our bikes.

Do some reading about the various performance upgrades; there is plenty of info on both forums.

IMHO, in stock form, the Gen IIs fueling, intake and exhaust "package" is pretty damn poor with a soft bottom end, and serious throttle snatch. The FCE is a worthwhile base upgrade as is swapping out the front sprocket to a 16 toother. To see major performance improvements a Power Commander, aftermarket air filter w airbox modification, smaller (or removed/zipped) secondary throttle butterfiles, and exhaust upgrade coupled with a proper map for the commander will completely transform the machine. The GenII has been around since 06 and the path to performance is pretty clearly laid out and well tested. There are plenty of free maps available for download and I personally think you would be wasting your $ paying for a cutom tune. There are also a number of different opinions but with a little reading here and on the other site you should be able to make an informed decision.

I personally wouldn't ask the dealer for advice

You tell him he's wasting money to do a custom tune, yet you recommend over $1K in mods to potentially fix his problem. I don't get it :confused0024:

Gtbigup,

You touch upon a good point that he should determine whether or not his issue is "the nature of the beast" or if there is an actually a problem with his bike. The dealer seemed to think it was an inherent issue suggesting a Power Commander and the discussion seemed to be leading in the direction of improving flawed stock performance.

I certainly would make sure that the basics are covered, looking over the machine carefully. Things like an unimpaired fuel supply, clean air filter and perhaps things like spark plugs, throttle body synch etc. Is the fuel old / suspect? Perhaps a bit of seafoam etc in the gas to clean the injectors? Probably not the issue but could be.

Beyond that, it returns back to improving the flaws in the stock setup. Any changes to the stock fueling (assuming reflash is not a realistic option) will require a piggy back control unit and with the wealth of maps availiable for most configurations it seems unnecessary to spend another couple hundred on dyno tuning (does the operator really know what they are doing). Certainly one could start with some free maps and see what the results are. Basically, you seem to be suggesting that spending for a custom tune (maybe $200?) on an otherwise stock bike with PC added is a good use of performance budget? Perhaps when you are totally satisified with all the performance "hardware" upgrades and are looking for the last bit then hit the dyno.

Changes to the base mapping may have improved somewhat over the years but as best a I can tell the improvements to your 08 would be relatively small with it still suffering from throttle snatch and of course all the performance limitations of the stock airbox/filter/secondary throttle butterflies, exhaust sytem package.

I would guess that the OP issues are "the nature of the beast" and won't improve without some $ and elbow grease.

Last edited:
I know when the Gen II first came out in '06 there were issues with the overall performance along the lines you relate. They have made some changes over the years to the ECU mapping that has alleviated those issues but I don't know if the '08 was included. I've only had my '09 for a couple of weeks but it is rock steady on the highway at all throttle openings, no surging at all. I agree buying a bike retailing for around $9,500 should give you a good product and I've had good luck with Yamaha products in this regard. Yours may be one that is just out of spec as it came from the factory, and in that case you'll have to go the PC route to get it to run better.

Best as I can tell the stock ecu mapping improvements has only helped to a point. Here's a quote from a recent Motorcycle.com comparison between the 11 Ninja, GSX1250FA and the 11 FZ1 . . .
"The FZ1 was judged as the most flickable and sporty platform, making it our first choice for taking to a trackday. But our testers were annoyed by its abrupt response off-throttle. Yamaha has updated its ECU several times over the years, and it’s better than ever, but some kinks still need to be worked out. “It makes accurate, smooth throttle control very difficult in tight curves,” Giardinelli observes."
"The FZ1, at $10,490, is the most affordably priced of the three but is also cursed with the least desirable engine character"

Make of it what you will . . . .

Last edited:
sorry but I didn't understand if you are on a stock configuration or your bike fit an aftermarket exoust terminal..

When I started this thread my bike was all stock, but today I installed a GTYR slipon and blocked the AIS. I also did the Air box mod , installed a K&N and now it seems to be worse( this makes me thing its lean). Next is going to be a PC3 and hopefully a free map from someone on here to start. I know that a custom tune is better, but what I can afford is another story. Do I need to do the FCE before I tune or can it wait? Thanks for all the feed back guys.

When I started this thread my bike was all stock, but today I installed a GTYR slipon and blocked the AIS. I also did the Air box mod , installed a K&N and now it seems to be worse( this makes me thing its lean). Next is going to be a PC3 and hopefully a free map from someone on here to start. I know that a custom tune is better, but what I can afford is another story. Do I need to do the FCE before I tune or can it wait? Thanks for all the feed back guys.

hers some maps you can download. Find the one that is the best fit. I run the stage 4 perfection map and it performs very well. Note that I have a few more Mods
http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/Dukes_Maps.zip

Back