The buzz is killing my buzz

So I have that nice plastic buzz at 4000 – 4500 RPM. Doing a search, I found all the obvious sources, but still missing something.
Can’t seem to locate the noise while riding. Aka pressing/touching various parts.
Here’s what I’ve done so far...

-pulled front fairing, removed vent & silicone adhesive the heck out of it
-extra foam & felt to the fairing inner inserts
-extra foam to the gas tank shroud
-made rubber dampers for the rad cover bottom & foam for the top where is slides into plastic
-wrapped the entire wiring harness in felt under fairing
-Added felt bumpers at various spots on headlights where the fairing “might” contact
-added foam around front turn signals where it contacts fairing
-added felt “bumpers” where the wind screen “looks” like it might touch fairing (Puig racing screen)
-removed front reflectors
-ensured every fastener was snug…even the horn!

Running out of ideas aside from the small plastic inserts on the mirror arms.
No signs of plastic rubbing & can’t have the music on all the time :)
Any other ideas beside naked?

Any loose electrical connections touching the fairing from inside? I had some after doing turn signal connectors & not securing them together, they created an awful buzzing. I hope this helps.

Thanks for reply. I used some left over dynamat padding (not foil backed) all around where signal connectors & main harness for cluster are located.
Even made sure the signal & 4 way relays where not making noise on their mounts under fairing

I did pull my key off the single ring previously. That is always a good one when it’s the case. However worth a revisit.
Also tested with/without tank bag. Could not notice with fairing off & only mirrors.
My vent was the single pin that shears when you pop out. Pulled 3 mini foam pieces out & filled with silicone, pressed on & wiped the ooze.
The thing is solid in there. The thing is solid in there, no plastic to plastic contact. Can you really do this fix wrong? :dontknow:
Vent2.jpg

Then I saw visible signs of harness rubbing above & bellow lights
Rub.jpg

So I played arts & crafts
feltmuch.jpg

Does look attractive as she gets nakid a bit
34nakid.jpg

Are you wearing ear plugs? If not, you should, it'll protect your hearing down the road. I always use disposable foam plugs and it cuts down the engine clatter and wind noise by about 29 dB, which is significant and it just makes the ride more enjoyable without the constant clatter and drone. I don't notice any buzz from that piece which is probably masked by the plugs.

I see guys without helmets tooling down the road with no ear protection. Ow, that has to hurt after a few hours in the saddle. ATGATT includes hearing protection, imo.

Last edited:
Plugs are a serious must. You are causing hearing damage if you don't wear them. Even the best & quietest helmets and windscreens often don't protect you from the wind noise that destroys your hearing

My bike is fairly sensitive to buzz depending the tune I am running. Lately, the buzz is almost gone. I do not run the bat wing bodywork in front of the tank to make raising the tank a few min operation but some of the stock buzzing may have been coming from it.

Beast

LMFAO. That’s awesome :) Yes, single for 8 months & loving my 1st new house at 40!
Have 2 storage rooms in basement that takes garage offload.

Good reminder on hearing protection, my plugs are in 50%. Lately it’s the short city commutes in traffic & quick runs around the block that bring the noise back into spotlight.
The FZ is gonna make it’s Yama-noise & have gear box that loves precise shifting…..but the thin plastic buzz with higher pitch at precisely 4k RPM has to go. Hear it or not, it’s there.

Back to process of elimination pulling 1 piece off & spin around the block. No key ring, wind screen, side inserts then back to Mr. vent after confirming relays are plugged tight. Also I did do a washer insert under cluster to firm it up a little.

I've been noticing the buzz lately too. I didn't have it until a few months ago. The vent is the obvious suspect. :dontknow: I haven't really tried anything yet. I'll let you know if I find anything that works for me, but it sounds like you've already gone way farther than I'll go. :retard: I'll give a few things a try, but then the white flag will fly for me. :surrender:

Guess I could set the idle to 5000RPM :)
Believe my particular buzz was right in front of eyes. After riding with the cone of noise off a few times…The 2 front relays (headlights?)
seemed securely mounted, but the coupler/clip allowed the relay to wiggle in plastic case.
FZRelay.jpg

FZRlyHldr.jpg

I decided to cut the bracket & silicone adhesive the top directly to the relay, then will magic tape the bottom half. If that doesn’t’ work
I’ll need to hire a ninja smurf to hang off mirrors & find :ugh:
DSC01683.jpg

Back