Textile wear, summer's coming

I know we'v all been on pins and needles waiting to get some riding time in this year. It seemed a relentless snow-packed winter, especially hitting the North East with un-relenting snow and cold. I know, you mid-westerners just get no respect, a hardy bunch, but soon everybody will have dry roads, and with enough clothing under our protective gear, it'll be semi comfortable for the most part. Down here in North Carolina, it's went from freezing to :) nice in the span of a couple weeks. We'll be getting our rainstorms, and a day here or there where it drops to the 40's yet, but I see many a day on the horizon just in whats left in this month as 'prime' riding times.

So... then.... we will be down to T shirts and leathers soon, I know I was just a couple days ago. So now I'm thinking 'New enough' or 'Motorcycle Superstore' as my next destination for comfort. Instead of leather, I'm thinking textile or even mesh armor. I have the luxury of lower density population where I live, but it's still better to know if you go down that your gear will stop the rash and hopefully the 'hurts'. I know the one thing I'll be getting first will be gloves, something cooler than the Harley Davidson gloves I got when I had the Buell. Their amazingly comfortable and 'LONG' wearing, worth every penny, but a mesh type textile is in order for the rising temps soon to be here. Next will be a textile riding Jacket, the Aqua Tour by Feldsheer, and fortunatly their going for $99 at most discount motorcycle super stores online. Where I was wearing sweatpants under, I believe I'll be wearing bike shorts with armor-like padding to be able to still get the miles piled on without doind the 'dance' looking for somewhere on the stock seat that likes my butt or vis'a vers'a.

Fortunatly all I'll need is glasses, since I have the modular Fulmer helmet with the flip-up face. That ought to afford some bits of cooling when needed with a quick push'n flip....ahhhh air.... So now that were riding again, the seasons will be here sooner than ever, and we'll be needing to modify our protective clothing needs.

I know you boys and girls over in Europe have a slightly different time scale, and our friends Down Under are getting ready for winter, but having weathered another winter here in the Southern US. I'm ready to travel..Oh yea.... and I forgot all the 'BUG GUTS' we'll be cleaning off every day for a while. I remember now why I liked fall and early winter riding.......lol...no splat.

Last edited:
Well now that you mention it I am going to look into getting a mesh textile jacket this summer. My vented leather jacket flows plenty of air, but it's heavy and I'm sure a vented mesh jacket with soft armor will be more comfortable while still offering plenty of protection.

Last mon I took out the jacket liner and by tues I had opened the front vents.

nice weather here. This week looks good, too. (san francisco bay area)

I have a Cortech Air mesh jacket that I have had for 8 years or so. I wear it in the heat of the summer. When it gets to be 100 with 98% humidity here in Houston there is not a leather jacket on the planet that can be comfortable.

I am considering getting a pant/jacket combo somewhere though.

I have a Cortech Air mesh jacket that I have had for 8 years or so. I wear it in the heat of the summer. When it gets to be 100 with 98% humidity here in Houston there is not a leather jacket on the planet that can be comfortable.

I am considering getting a pant/jacket combo somewhere though.

While your humidity is higher than here, this might work. I use the tour master trans II set. Under the jacket, I wear my air cage that I use for dirt. Under the air cage I wear a long sleeve jogging shirt that has some kinda material that wicks the sweat fast. With vents open on the jacket, air cage allows air flow, the jog shirt wicking sweat, the only time I get hot is when I'm stopped in traffic.

I don't carry any fat, so that helps, too.

i just bought a really nice textile jacket, removable liner, and all removable arm, shoulder and back pads, so you can pick and choose. it's made here locally in Massachusetts by a company called APS (american power sports). they were selling them red tag for $40. well worth it and then some. probably one of the best deals out there for gear. and then i got a really comfortable pair of icon gloves for $30.

15697_377690675727_645340727_4241202_2617402_n.jpg

15697_377690680727_645340727_4241203_725811_n.jpg

I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. I'm sure it's not the best mesh jacket available but it's been holding up well. Luckily I haven't had to test its durability the hard way. It has a removable liner.

I want to get a pair of these Cortech jeans buy my weight yo-yo's so much I hate to buy something that probably be too tight or too loose in a couple months.

Cortech by Tour Master Mod Denim Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough

I think those run big and you have a couple velcro side straps that cinch down good or loosen. If like my trans II, they'll have at least 3-4 inches of play range.

On mine, which are the smallest size that would fit, I wear UNDER the pants, padded bike shorts; armor shorts; knee/shin guards; AND kevlar jeans. Still have tons of room as I have to cinch them down good.

What's causing you to gain/lose weight? Didn't know that happend to us guys. Happens to my wife, mostly gain. She can't figure out that chocolate cake and ice cream and choc candy puts on the pounds. Big secret, ya know.

Anyway, I don't think you'll have a problem with the pants.

I didn't know they had Velcro straps. Thanks. That's just what I need.

I'm one of those people who goes on a health kick for a few months then gets sick of it. Then I let loose. For a while I'll cut out the booze, exercise regularly, eat right, etc. So I lose weight. That gets boring so I start having a few beers, lots of pizza, etc. Then the weight goes up.

I didn't know they had Velcro straps. Thanks. That's just what I need.

I'm one of those people who goes on a health kick for a few months then gets sick of it. Then I let loose. For a while I'll cut out the booze, exercise regularly, eat right, etc. So I lose weight. That gets boring so I start having a few beers, lots of pizza, etc. Then the weight goes up.

Go to food supplement site, like iherb.com, and get their collagen type 1 and III, it's all in one. Mixes with water. Whenever you get the urge to over eat, use this stuff. This and your goal makes it all come together.

Lean and muscular is where it's at, bro. Makes riding way fun, I would think.

Back