Term for zipped flies on the FZ1.

I did a search but due to terminology I am coming up with zero, What does it mean when people are zipping the flies? I am new to the FZ1 as you can tell.

the secondary flies... using zip ties to hold them WIDE OPEN.... another way of getting the same thing done is to just take the plates out of the flies.

on the Gen II by the way.

Last edited:
A bit of an old post by now, BUT, I zipped the flies open, and did notice quite significant changes in power and response. I also did the airbox mod, Scorpion pipe, K&N filter & am trying some maps out until I'm done making changes.

What I'd like to know is if there is any perceived difference with the plates just zipped open or removed? Also, I would think, for less turbulent air flow, that the plates and the spindle should come out. But then there'd be a hole in the throttle bodies where the spindle was. Anyone tackle this?
At some point, if I can ever sell this top-shelf 6 string bass of mine, then I'd get the Dynojet Auto Tune for my new PCV. That, I would think, would be the best route.

my best guess is they are reffering to using zip ties to hold the valve in the exhaust completely open. its between your headers and your silencer. then again i may be missing something as well

Plenty of folks pull the plates out, but not the spindle... the spindle stays... to get the plates out, it helps to heat the screws with a soldering iron for a little bit to break the loc-tite loose before taking them out...

kidblooper : Not the exhaust.... intake secondary flies.

On another FZ1 forum, I read about someone who had taken out the spindle too, but no details on how. I just would think the spindle would just make another place to create turbulence in the airflow, but I know I could be wrong about that. Maybe it's just not significant enough.

Ha ha...yeah, gotta remember to heat the screws up. I already kinda started messing one up because I didn't do that. I just wanted to see if it would even move, but it didn't. I do have a soldering iron handy.

- T.

Last edited:
Back