Tank protection, windshield

Rex D.

Tank protection, windshield advice needed

I've got 3,000 miles on my '07 FZ1 (purchased used last summer with 1300 miles) and have done all the mods to make it run right including Akropovic' slip-on exhaust. I have a concern about the clear coat i'm grinding off the sides of my tank with my knees also scratches appearing from leaning into the tank. I should install something to protect the paint, I would like to use something clear . Also i'm thinking of riding to the east coast and back and would like to know what windshield would be the best to keep the bugs off my chest and helmet and limit helmet buffet at freeway speeds. Thanks

Last edited:
For clear tank protection I recommend Tankslapper http://www.thetankslapper.biz/

I use, and like, TechSpec Gripster Tank Grip (snake skin) TechSpec USA I would add the Center Tank Pro for $15 to give better protection. I use it to allow my knees better grip on the tank during re-positioning in a turn. However, it's great tank protection as well.

You'll get many suggestions and preferences for a touring windshield. I just installed a Puig Turing Windscreen. It's about 4" taller than stock and wider. I think it performs well and looks great on the bike.

Puig.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking for the same stuff.

I have already ordered the Puig, but I dont know what to do with the tank. The tank has that FZ1 clearcoated label on it.

Got any pictures of your set-up ?

Sorry to highjack this post, but was getting to type the exact same questions.

I went in another direction with my tank protector.
I was never really happy with the "standard" tank protectors like Pro grip. Don't get me wrong - they did their job at a very fair price. I can't complain. I just didn't like the look.
I decided to go outside the norm and go with carbon fiber. In fact, I just got this sucker in.

IMAG0368.jpg

It sticks to the tank with 2 sided sticky tape.

IMAG0369.jpg

It is curved to fit your gas tank.

IMAG0370.jpg

and it even has Fazer engraved in it

IMAG0371.jpg

I put it next to the 2nd place choice. I bought a similar, smaller CF Tank protector from Triumph. I put them side by side to show the size difference.

IMAG0372.jpg

Anyway - just food for thought. LOL You will find a mind numbing amount of choices when you search :cheers:

Back