Taking the plunge: R1 Fork Conversion

don't know about the gpr but the other stabilizers made for the gen1 have brackets that attach to the frame. I'm thinking of the holeshot one and the one on Pat's site that I can't remember the name of. Olins?

I would guess to make it work you'd need taller risers and some sturdy brackets to attach to the frame like the one on Pat's site. There's a holeshot one for sale on the other forum: GEN 1 Silver front sprocket cover and steering dampner - FZ1OA Message Board.

Parts at the shop

Last week I dropped the parts off @ OverTWO Customs for service and stem swappage. :yes:

There was a change in plans regarding the upper triple. After Devilsyam talked to his guy, he said it was better to use the r1/g2 upper rather than making adapters for the g1 upper. So I had to search for a new upper again. I found a brand new 03 r1 upper on the r1 forum for half price so that's on the way along with new steering stem bearings.

Hoping to have parts on the bike by the middle of November. :flash:

Patrice, does that upper have locations to mount handlebar risers or are they going to machine/drill it out to accept the risers and handlebars? Sounds like one heck of a swap!

It's gonna have to be drilled and supported. I was really disappointed to learn Devilsyam couldn't adapt the design to work but I :surrender: to those who know what they're doing.

The guys at OTC seemed to agree without seeing the design saying that drilling would be the better option. I know when I'm licked! It's still gonna be cool though. :D

Just got off the phone with Lorne at OTC. Forks are done! Just waiting on steering stem swap and the rest of my parts. R1 upper should be here tomorrow and the steering stem bearing kit should be here next Wednesday. Since I recently passed 37k, i'll get my valve check done when they do the swap.

Last edited:
Final parts are trickling in. Brand new r1 upper triple bought from an r1 forum member for less than new price.
DSCF5203.JPG

Good thing I already had the spacer it needs to work.
DSCF5205.JPG

DSCF5206.JPG

DSCF5204.JPG

Early Christmas

Steering Bearings and seal kit arrived today, about a week earlier than estimated. This is like early Christmas!
DSCF5210.JPG

Loren says he can paint the front fender I got from FZ#1 to match my yamaha blue for only $75. That's going on the todo list. I'll leave it black for a while.

The guy who's doing the stem swap discovered that the FZ1 stem is 1/10 too narrow for the r1 lower tree. The solution posted in the conversion guide is to drill a hole and use a pin to secure it like this
CIMG3163.jpg

When I read the guide I kind of went over that part quickly. After giving it some thought I knew I didn't want my lower drilled and pinned. When Loren called this morning to tell me the fz1 stem was too small for the r1 lower, he said they would investigate welding it. I like the sound of that so much better than pinning it. The lower should be completed by this weekend at the earliest and will be double the cost because of the welding.

So, I have an install date with Loren and the guys @ OTC for 16 November. That was the best news I got today by far! When I started this, I never imagined it'd be this soon. I was thinking the end of February 2012 as the earliest install date. I'll have USD forks in time for Thanksgiving.

Now I'm just waiting for extensions.

Last edited:
The guy who's doing the stem swap discovered that the FZ1 stem is 1/10 too narrow for the r1 lower tree. The solution posted in the conversion guide is to drill a hole and use a pin to secure it like this.

When I read the guide I kind of went over that part quickly. After giving it some thought I knew I didn't want my lower drilled and pinned. When Loren called this morning to tell me the fz1 stem was too small for the r1 lower, he said they would investigate welding it. I like the sound of that so much better than pinning it. The lower should be completed by this weekend at the earliest and will be double the cost because of the welding.

So, I have an install date with Loren and the guys @ OTC for 15 November. That was the best news I got today by far! When I started this, I never imagined it'd be this soon. I was thinking the end of February 2012 as the earliest install date. I'll have USD forks in time for Thanksgiving.

Now I'm just waiting for extensions.

Well you can't weld the steel stem to the aluminum lower tree. I agree that the pin alone is not the best solution. I would have a sleeve machined to take up the slack and then pin it to keep everything in place...

Well you can't weld the steel stem to the aluminum lower tree. I agree that the pin alone is not the best solution. I would have a sleeve machined to take up the slack and then pin it to keep everything in place...

They're going to weld a bead around stem and machine it down to take up the 1/10 difference then press it in. They don't want to drill through the lower triple clamp, I guess for liability reasons. If I were doing this myself, I'd likely follow the instructions in Mike's guide to the letter.

It's part of the reason I decided to let a shop handle this, especially after I talked to Loren. I felt comfortable that he knew what he was doing and Baby would be in good hands. Loren also said they'd press the stem in flush and they'd use a washer or something to make up the 7mm difference instead of the protrusion like in the picture I posted.

I'm going to drop off the rest of the parts this weekend for them to have the front end ready to bolt on. That's the axle with spacers, upper triple clamp with spacer, and front fender. I got a box of bolts from cycle gear because I needed one bolt on my fairing and hoping the others can be used to put the fender on. I don't have 2 of the grommets but I'm going to let them worry about that.

In prep for my blog post, I made a chart for the Front End conversion

I added some specs as well as what's needed to do the conversion. Does this look right? Would you add or take anything away from it?

Very good job. From the best records I've ever seen.
It will help many who are looking for these changes.

The guy who's doing the stem swap discovered that the FZ1 stem is 1/10 too narrow for the r1 lower tree. The solution posted in the conversion guide is to drill a hole and use a pin to secure it like this

When I read the guide I kind of went over that part quickly. After giving it some thought I knew I didn't want my lower drilled and pinned. When Loren called this morning to tell me the fz1 stem was too small for the r1 lower, he said they would investigate welding it.

Unfortunately my micrometer is two small to measure the stems. I used a caliper instead. The FZ1 stem is 30mm O.D. and the 06 R1 is approximately 0.008" larger diameter. I think a combination of a 0.004" brass shim wrapped around the stem and a roll pin would work well. There would be no movement, because of the tight fit and thus no wear either. Luke turned down the stem and made a Farrel to fit between the lower triple and the stem. I just happen to have both items on hand. I still have to press the R1 stem out of the lower. The FZ1 stem has been freed.

According to the guide, when you press the stem out the difference increases due to the taper of the r1 stem.

for those without access to a welder, I think you're solution seems like a good one. In the end, I think it cost me $80 to have the stem swapped.

Thanks. Now if I can just get past this emotional wall I can take the bike to the shop. I think I'm nearly there but in case not I've asked my brother to help. We're going to take Baby to OTC in the morning for the install.

I was supposed to do it on Wednesday, then Thursday...you get the idea. I just can't get my Mom outta my head telling me how pretty the bike's gonna be and am understanding that this'll be the first thing I've done to the bike that she won't get to see. I want to keep him the way she last saw him for that reason. OTOH, I want to get it done. The things that trip you up!

I can't believe this is MY motorcycle!
DSCF5306.JPG

My stem is flush with the lower triple and looks stunning in black! $25 well spent.
DSCF5318.JPG

At this point, I'm wishing I'd spent the extra $$$ for a new gen2 upper.
DSCF5313.JPG

I may keep looking for one.

Those spacers hanging down are hideous but...
DSCF5315.JPG

I had to get off of the bike and look for it to see it.

DSCF5305.JPG

Lorne was fantastic to work with and I didn't mind leaving Baby with him.
DSCF5300.JPG

He'll be getting more of my business because the front fender needs painting and I need to get the valves checked. He says I shouldn't have any problems installing the extensions when they get here or getting it dialed in to my liking.

DSCF5303.JPG

More details here.

Back