Tacoma or Durango?

just out of curiosity, anybody have a newer (2010-present) tacoma or a new style (2011) dodge durango? if so, what do you like, or not like about the vehicle? i may be in the market for a vehicle depending on if i get the job i've been trying to get and these two vehicles catch my eye. i like the tacoma because i really like toyota and it would give me a means to transport the bike and other things that i may need to move. and i like the durango because i think these new ones are awesome looking and they sound like they are amazing performance wise, though i would need a test drive to confirm that...

The current Gen Taco hasn't changed a lot over the years, sort of in the same long-running rut at the FZ1. I'm biased as I've been driving Toyota since 1984. I've strayed to other brands a few times through the years but we always quickly came back to Toyota. Let me put it this way... I've only ever been stranded once in a Toyota. The 1988 mini I owned had a failed fuel pump. $28 and 10 minutes was all it took me to fix it. Currently I own the 2007 Double-Cab TRD Offroad and it is just an amazing truck. I'm keeping this Taco until one of us dies. ;)

The brand new 2012 Taco got a really ugly facelift, the previous 2 gens look great imo.

I almost bought one last year, but they are just waaaaaaaaay over priced, you can buy a new tundra for less than a tacoma. And I have wide shoulders, and the tacoma bucket seats are narrow on me and uncomfortable. I ended up picking up a Chevy Colorado, and love it.

As to the new Durango, I think they look sweet, but I have no idea how they will be in the long run in terms of reliability, etc.

Any Brand can be reliable and run for a long time if you take good care of the vehicle. I just sold my wife's 2000 S-10 Blazer for $3400.00, it had 220,000 miles on the clock.

We'll preface this by saying that I don't have experience with the current line of Durango...

but... a few years back, I had a 1998 Dodge Ram and a buddy of mine had a 99 Durango... there was no comparison between the two... the fit and finish on the Durango was horrible... everything squeaked and moaned... the thing ate ball joints, tie rods, etc constantly.... I couldn't believe that the two vehicles even came from the same company...

Given the choice you're looking at... it's no contest. Toyota all the way....

But... why are you looking at a truck with Toyota and a SUV with Dodge? Given the choice of Dodge Truck vs. Toyota Truck.... I'd pick a 2006-2009 Dodge Ram over the Tacoma.

Durango all the way. Hard the beat the power of the latest 5.7 Hemi. Solid powertrain, great looks and a really nice interior. What more can you ask for?

I have a 2001 Durango with 365,000km (226,000 miles) on it with no major mechanical problems. The new one looks like it is going to be just as good.

Last edited:
Toyota for sure. Check out just how many dodges that have had there transmissions replaced that where 100k. I just bought my wife a 2011 FJ cruiser and we love it. And as far as performance goes I have friends with a Tacoma and rams who race every morning on the way home from work. They are dang close in the 1/8 and I think the tacoma comes back by near the 1/4 mark.

But the tundra will kill both of them in any contest.

We'll preface this by saying that I don't have experience with the current line of Durango...

but... a few years back, I had a 1998 Dodge Ram and a buddy of mine had a 99 Durango... there was no comparison between the two... the fit and finish on the Durango was horrible... everything squeaked and moaned... the thing ate ball joints, tie rods, etc constantly.... I couldn't believe that the two vehicles even came from the same company...

Given the choice you're looking at... it's no contest. Toyota all the way....

But... why are you looking at a truck with Toyota and a SUV with Dodge? Given the choice of Dodge Truck vs. Toyota Truck.... I'd pick a 2006-2009 Dodge Ram over the Tacoma.

not sure if i want the truck or suv. i have a 2002 pathfinder and am somewhat partial to suvs, but i had a nissan frontier before that so i have dabbled in pick ups as well. i've been driving my father's highlander and that is a nice vehicle, so if the tacoma is anything like it (both toyotas of course) then they must be awesome trucks. but also, there is something i really like about the durango and it sounds like they put a lot into the new models. the other option which i very well may do is to just keep my pathfinder as long as possible and save more money to make a decision later in the future. i am just doing some initial research right now.

Toyota for sure. Check out just how many dodges that have had there transmissions replaced that where 100k. I just bought my wife a 2011 FJ cruiser and we love it. And as far as performance goes I have friends with a Tacoma and rams who race every morning on the way home from work. They are dang close in the 1/8 and I think the tacoma comes back by near the 1/4 mark.

But the tundra will kill both of them in any contest.

The thing about the Auto transmissions is definitely true... I forgot to mention, my Ram was a 5 speed... I put 286,000 on it before I sold it.. in that time, I had to put a rear end in the truck, and a water pump.... everything else was fine... the only reason I had to put a ear end in it was because the damn nut backed off the pinion gear, and the pinion fell into the pumpkin on a trip to KY... locked up the rear end solid.. destroyed the ring gear...but.. I replaced the open 3.21 gears with 3.55 Posi .... so.. for $500.. it was totally worth it....

Back