Tach not working / Not running

Last night I dropped my oil pan and cleaned out the pick up tube and put a new oil pan gasket on. When I reassembled the bike it woudln't crank.

So I checked my fuses and I was getting power on both sides of the ignition circut and everything else was working.

The bike would just spin over no spark.

I put the wiring back under the seat and tried one last time and it cranked fine. WTF?

So I go test drive the bike and it's runnning fantastic and I look down and my tach isn't working. So I drive back and kill it and then check my wires and couldnt find anything. I turn the key and try to crank it and now it wont crank.

So now I see the tach spinning away from 0 when I turn the motor over with the starter . That makes me thing the tach spun around and got stuck on 0.

Now the tach is also throwing a code. I can see it jump 1/4 inch every few seconds but since its stuck on 0 I can see what it is so that I can get the bike running FML

Can I apply 12 v to the tach signal wire and force it around? I can't run it because I can't see whats wrong !

Also what causes could there be for no spark? Coils are good and plugged in.

Recheck your soldered connection on the (missing) sidestand switch, it's possible it has been disturbed and the solder cracked or broken.

Impossible, twisted together then soldered and then heat srinked.

Besides I left the plug on it so when we pulled the harness it was never distrubed

Fz1

You may want to check your connections to the ECU for either corrosion, or more likely a bad connection. Make sure none of the wires in the main harness to the ECU also did not pull out slightly...

I would also check the wiring for the ignition pick up coil. If its disconnected/faulty, it won't send any signals to the ECU to light up the coils.

Any wires under the seat that were moved / disconnected, I would be checking closely anything that remotly got pulled. It sounds like you have intermediate connection somewhere...

Good luck..

I verified the fuses were getting power

I checked the ECU for corrosion last night
I checked all plugs last night and they were all plugged in as far as I could tell

Which plug is the ignition pickup coil? I think I know which one your talking about but I want to verify. I didn't start with a pretty bike.

I verified the fuses were getting power

I checked the ECU for corrosion last night
I checked all plugs last night and they were all plugged in as far as I could tell

Which plug is the ignition pickup coil? I think I know which one your talking about but I want to verify. I didn't start with a pretty bike.

The ignition pick up sensor is usually located adjacent to the cam chain cover (usually the upper left)on the right side of the engine. It should have two wires coming off it and going up under the tank. I believe it'll plug into the main harness

I don't know the year of your bike otherwise, I could post a parts diagram of exactly where it is..

Per the 2002 parts fisch, it appears to be elsewhere (part #18): http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500447cff8700209bc78ff48/electrical-2

Last edited:
I'm not terribly familiar with the FZ1, but the FZ6 and most Yamaha's in general. I know for the oil pan removal for the FZ6, your dropping the header, unplugging the oil sensor in the pan and dropping the pan. Same for the FJR.

For the FZ1, why does all the wiring have to come out from under the seat??

Back