Synthetic oil choice?

There's lots to choose from. Personally, I go with Shell Rotella T6 from Wal-Mart. $20 a gallon and JASO-M certified which is a motorcycle oil certification

Whats the best synthetic oil? I'm not sure what to get and I just rolled over 3000.

That's like asking what's the best beer... :D

If you're using synthetic motorcycle oil... you can't go wrong.

I've been using Motul for over 30K miles, but it is expensive, I've also used Mobil 1 and Yamalube.

Think I might have to switch over and try the Shell Rotella, little easier on the wallet, it's synthetic, it's used by a lot of riders and it's available locally.

There's lots to choose from. Personally, I go with Shell Rotella T6 from Wal-Mart. $20 a gallon and JASO-M certified which is a motorcycle oil certification

I'm also currently using Rotella T6 and very happy with it. Seems to have made the shifting much smoother and as already mentioned its JASO certified for use with a wet clutch.

I also used Rotella T6 for quite some time with no issue. I change for 20W50 grade since it's so hot in Florida... just make me feel better. LOL Valvoline full synth from Advance Autopart work good for me. I'm not riding hard enough to consider "racing formula" oil.

Same for brake fluid. I don't need 600F grade oil for cruising on I95 and hit the brake going 40 MPH for a stop sign. Still from Advance Autopart... Valvoline DOT4, even good for drum brakes! LOL I do bleed them every other oil change. Been working fine for the last 30K.

If I was going to hit the track... thing will be quite different!

This one never gets old, thank you DefyIntertia.

I know that you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes. But you really should Very cautious of synthetic oil! It can do terrible things both to you, and to your bike. Synthetic oil will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically and without warning, dropping your bike flat on the rocky ground! But that's not all . . . . Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. Synthetic oil will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and then she will never ride with, or sleep with, you again. Synthetic oil coats your oil sight window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight, force your favorite dog to drink it at gunpoint, and he will then die a slow horrible writhing death.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam all your zippers shut. Synthetic oil will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. Synthetic oil will make it rain during rallies and on every weekend. It will causing your cam drive to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every sixteen miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp. Synthetic oil then voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555 overnight. It also dries out your wet clutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch cable or slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your face shield and make your gloves shrink two sizes the night before track day. Synthetic oil will then steal your neutral and sell it for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there

I have found the best results from making my own synthetic blend. Optimal shifting results from:

1/2qt rotella
1/4 qt mobil 1
2 cups Courvoisier
4 tbsp premium caviar
8 oz gold flakes (this does not help shifting, but it does make the oil more expensive, which, as pointed out earlier, makes it better).

When I first got the motorcycle, I had the distinctive Yamaha "chunk" into second gear. Now, I shift directly first to seventh with no issues.

When I bought my 02 FZ in September 2011 the previous owner was using basic Yamaha Oil. Right away the bike burned through that, about 1500 miles in (he claimed the oil was changed right before I bought it). So I switched to Mobil 1 4MT and notice the oil getting low again after 1500 miles, added a quart and did a full change at 3000 miles.

I am 200 miles away from 3000 miles on this second round of the Mobil 1 and no more burning of oil, no need to add anything over the last 2800 miles, so I am sold on using the Mobil 1, I have been using it in my cars for the past 8 years as well.

Just be sure to get the 4 MT version since it is designed for the wet clutch.

:+2:

Back