Symptoms of out of balance carbs

firefly

1- Harder than usual starts & having to give it some throttle to start.
2- idle floats around & does not come down quickly when you pull the clutch in.
3- Increased engine vibration at idle & at all speeds.
4- Increased gas consumption.
5- Acceleration feels sluggish.
6- The exhaust sounds louder than usual with uneven note.

1- Harder than usual starts & having to give it some throttle to start.
2- idle floats around & does not come down quickly when you pull the clutch in.
3- Increased engine vibration at idle & at all speeds.
4- Increased gas consumption.
5- Acceleration feels sluggish.
6- The exhaust sounds louder than usual with uneven note.

Could also be vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner around the intake boots and carbs at idle....how many miles on the spark plugs....pull one out and check color....black too rich...tan/ grey color ok
car balance would not cause your problem, unless someone cranked down on one of the carbs
Also could be one of the carb diaphrams...

These symptoms gradually creped up, my last carb sync was ~ 14000 miles, did the synchronizing yesterday & now the bike is as sweet as can be Smooooth in everyway. I also did the carb vacuum equalization mod which is basically connecting 1 to 4 & 2 to 3 & I think it made a nice difference in responsiveness, the bike has stock jetting, a 4* advancer, the white connector mod & a slip on can.
Had to increase the idle RPM to 2K to get the carbtune columns to rise enough to synchronize, the whole process took 20 min & best of all paid nothing.
To make next synchronization even easier I attached long hoses to the vacuum nipples so I can access them from under the tank.

These symptoms gradually creped up, my last carb sync was ~ 14000 miles, did the synchronizing yesterday & now the bike is as sweet as can be Smooooth in everyway. I also did the carb vacuum equalization mod which is basically connecting 1 to 4 & 2 to 3 & I think it made a nice difference in responsiveness, the bike has stock jetting, a 4* advancer, the white connector mod & a slip on can.
Had to increase the idle RPM to 2K to get the carbtune columns to rise enough to synchronize, the whole process took 20 min & best of all paid nothing.
To make next synchronization even easier I attached long hoses to the vacuum nipples so I can access them from under the tank.

I just got a 02 fz1 last week, waiting for parts...can you give me more details on the 4* advancer mod, and the carb vacuum mod
Thanks

I just got a 02 fz1 last week, waiting for parts...can you give me more details on the 4* advancer mod, and the carb vacuum mod
Thanks

Where are you in Cali? I am in santa monica,
1- I bought the 4* advancer from Dale walker, this together with adjusting the EXUP exhaust valve took the throttle snatch away 90%, the after market exhaust can took away the 10 % completely now throttle is more controlled & precise.Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.
click on Fz1, then gen one & look for timing advancer or call them.
2- Carb vacuum equalization is very simple, you remove the rubber plugs from each carb get a fuel hose that fits the nipples snug, connect the two outer carbs to each other and the two inner ones to each other, that is it.

Where are you in Cali? I am in santa monica,
1- I bought the 4* advancer from Dale walker, this together with adjusting the EXUP exhaust valve took the throttle snatch away 90%, the after market exhaust can took away the 10 % completely now throttle is more controlled & precise.Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.
click on Fz1, then gen one & look for timing advancer or call them.
2- Carb vacuum equalization is very simple, you remove the rubber plugs from each carb get a fuel hose that fits the nipples snug, connect the two outer carbs to each other and the two inner ones to each other, that is it.

Los alamos...near Solvang,Buellton....everyone knows Buellton for sideways movie, thanks for the info, only mods on my Fz bros slip on, k/n filter,,stock carbs. Never had a chance to ride as I nursed it home with a shot chain and leak from crankcase......maybe Ivan's carb mod.....

Back