swingarm mod

doe's any one know if a R1 swingarm can be adapted to a 08 fz1 in order to shorten the wheel base so that it will make it a little more flickable in the corners? would like to shorten it 1 1/2" to 2 "

Have not seen an FZ1 with an R1 swing arm. I would think that since the R1 has a much shorter wheelbase than the FZ1 the swing arm is not much shorter (if at all). The biggest problem I see is that even if it shortens the wheelbase that much it will be a handful to put down the power.

Although the R1 has a wheelbase that is 1.8" shorter than the FZ, the front end also has different numbers. The rake on the R1 is 24 degrees, compared to 25 on the FZ, and tail on the R1 is 4.0" vs. 4.3 on the FZ. I think it would be tinkering with an unknown to only change one characteristic of the steering geometry and expect the handling to be slower or quicker. You'd normally think that a longer wheelbase would give slower handling but it is probably more stable as well.

Although the R1 has a wheelbase that is 1.8\" shorter than the FZ, the front end also has different numbers. The rake on the R1 is 24 degrees, compared to 25 on the FZ, and tail on the R1 is 4.0\" vs. 4.3 on the FZ. I think it would be tinkering with an unknown to only change one characteristic of the steering geometry and expect the handling to be slower or quicker. You'd normally think that a longer wheelbase would give slower handling but it is probably more stable as well.

Thats in my line of thoughts to Lonerider and i haven't got to compare the differences between the swingarms . but i figured if it would work and i could keep the ride highth the same in the back end it shouldn't effect my rake or stearing geometry and be able to get what im looking for a shorter wheel base. I figure about 1 1/2" but could be wrong.

Well the easiest thing to do is to take a ride to a local Yamaha dealer (if you have one) and measure the length of the R1 swing arm. I think you might be surprised to find that it's not much shorter than the FZ1 or it could in fact be longer. Most modern super sport bikes have very long swing arms (in comparison to their wheelbase) to put the power down w/o losing too much traction in the back.

Although the R1 has a wheelbase that is 1.8\\" shorter than the FZ, the front end also has different numbers. The rake on the R1 is 24 degrees, compared to 25 on the FZ, and tail on the R1 is 4.0\\" vs. 4.3 on the FZ. I think it would be tinkering with an unknown to only change one characteristic of the steering geometry and expect the handling to be slower or quicker. You'd normally think that a longer wheelbase would give slower handling but it is probably more stable as well.

I had the 06 model. Despite what people think that the bike was unchanged from 04>06, it was changed, the 06 actualy had a longer swingarm (as well as other minor mods).....for stability....less wheelie prone and more stable infact.
So to the point:
The best way to sharpen the steering is to lift the back/drop the front of the bike, this will change the rake (angle of the forks) add in tyres with a higher profile so the bike will 'drop in' on corners. Whole lot cheaper than butchering the bike as well. Your goung to run in to lots of other issues with suspension etc on a swap out. If you go the route of running a shorter swingarm the bike will just want to lift the front wheel every time you open the throttle. Fun. But not good for handling if you cant open the throttle on corner exit!

Just found this,quote:
''In addition, the swingarm was extended 20 mm longer due to acceleration instability.''
Refers to the 06 model year. Hope it helps your decision.:poke:

Back