SW motech AluRack question

fz1uk

Hi, I'm looking for info regarding the SWmotech luggage carriers including their alurack topbox rack. I understand they produce the panniers (side carrier to fit a v35 plx case) that can be removed in seconds. I'm really looking to find out if the Alu-Rack toprack can also be completely removed "in seconds" or if it only strips down to look like this -->
11494-425x350.jpg

If it doesn't strip down quickly to anything more than this - how long are we talking to remove the rack fully each time and what has to come off so that you can remove it fully?

Ideally I will use the hard luggage 5 or 6 times a year for long touring 2 up and I want the bike to look like stock on the back for the rest of the year.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

The rack you've pictured here is held on with the pillion peg bolts and the bolts that hold the fender/tail on. It's 4 easy access bolts for the pillion and then remove the seat and the four for the fender are right there easily accessible. I'd say 20 minutes tops for removal or install.

That being said, be careful of the top rack you buy because the panier racks only work with certain top racks. Be sure you but the correct top rack for the side rack application, ok? :D

I've wondered the same thing about this setup, because I would like the benefit of storage and a backrest for the passenger... but I don't want the ugly rack on the bike when I don't need the storage or backrest. 20 minutes to remove/add every time I want to ride 2 up would be too much trouble, as my rides are often just 30minutes-1 hour as I find time to ride after work. So I'll just have to decide if I'd rather go without or just leave the luggage/rack on all the time. Thanks for the info FZ1inNH, helpful as always!

Last edited:
Yeah thanks for that info - I personally can cope with 20 mins of shifting things and taking off the rack - although ideally there'd be a quick release top box rack too! I take it the givi top box rack is more of a pain to take off than this swmotech as from what I've understood the givi somehow hooks up to the main subframe of the bike and requires some cutting to get it to attach initially?

Back