Suspension

ok... now that I've moved you into the right section.....

Suspension is a tricky question.

What are you riding now? In comparison to what you're riding now, the Gen II FZ might be worlds better.... If you're on a Ohlins / Penske / Fox Shox setup right now... well then in comparison, the FZ might be less compliant.

How big are ya? For a 150-175lb rider, the FZ's suspension is adequate. Much bigger than that, you'll need to replace the springs front and rear. Same if you're only 130lbs.

Comparison of Gen 1 and Gen II Suspension: The Gen 1 FZ does have more adjustable suspension components, as well as more components that you can upgrade. A stock Gen 1 Shock can be re-valved, re-sprung, and it's awesome. The Gen II rear is carrying a bigger spring than most riders will need, and is not internally rebuildable. The front suspension is also very different between the 2 Gen bikes. In the Gen 1, each fork leg has adjustable preload, compression damping, and rebound damping. On the Gen II, each fork has preload adjustment, but one side carries the compression adjustment, and the other carries rebound adjustment(Not both adjustments in each fork).

So, you've got some things to think about here, and some comparisons to make. The short answer is that if properly set-up, the Gen II suspension is more than adequate for the majority of riders.

Asking if suspension is stiff and harsh is like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

[SIZE=\\\"3\\\"]It's my understanding that the 2006 FZ suspension was very stiff and harsh. Have they corrected that problem yet?[/SIZE]

Softer spring now by all accounts. I'm hovering around 185lb at the moment and the ride is comfy on my 08 on standard settings. I would uprate only for improved handling...which may be less comfy! But thats not my priority:D
By comparison my R1 and srad750 in particular were both much stiffer springs which could get you out of the seat regular on backroads.

Personally I find my FZ1 suspension poor on damping.

The preload is fine, but the bike gets a little too bouncy when the road gets mildly bumpy. Of course on really bumpy roads I will probably appreciate this. But doing corners, I can feel the rear start to squat. I don't weigh much, perhaps 130 or so, but it sure feels soggy.

Stock suspy. About 10 months old now. I'm on preload setting 5/7.

I came off the 04' R1, so maybe I like a stiff ride. But like I said, preload is adequate, it's the compression damping (or lack of setting) that bothers me. :(

Personally I find my FZ1 suspension poor on damping.

The preload is fine, but the bike gets a little too bouncy when the road gets mildly bumpy. Of course on really bumpy roads I will probably appreciate this. But doing corners, I can feel the rear start to squat. I don't weigh much, perhaps 130 or so, but it sure feels soggy.

Stock suspy. About 10 months old now. I'm on preload setting 5/7.

I came off the 04' R1, so maybe I like a stiff ride. But like I said, preload is adequate, it's the compression damping (or lack of setting) that bothers me. :(

i came from a 06 r1, same set up as the 04 I think. +1 on the bouncy bit. Upped the back one notch on spring preload on Sunday to find it a little better but skips a bit now on a bumpy road. a good quality shocker may be the way forward. As you say, damping. I think thats the prob.:confused: Its not bad enough to be a BIG probl;em but coming from a good sports mount you will notice the difference the faster you go.
i tip the scales around 180 at the mo so my suspension is working a bit harder.

My 07 is lacking a lil from what i can tell.. then again maybe the bike just wasn't designed for somebody that weighs 265 +. I've recently set it a little tighter but fear i'll have to put it back , so the rear isn't loosing traction.. wont know for sure until i get softer tires

Whenever I read road tests of new motorcycles done by the professionals of the major motorcycle rags the first thing I ask myself is, "what is his or her rule for what is good, bad, soft, hard, etc. Each and every one of us has their own idea of how a machine should perform. One rider may think something is just fine and the next think the same thing is terrible. A lot depends on weight and size, and as much depends on ability. In the end the old addage that opinons are like what's between the cheeks of our butt, we all have one.

Back