Suspension settings.

supersonic

I recently bought my first roadbike after riding motocross for 30 years. It's an FZ1N '06. I weigh 76kg (160lbs), any tips out ther for suspension set up?

Start by setting your static/rider sag.... After you get those dialed in, you can start to play with the more advanced settings....

Having the sag set correctly is a HUGE difference to start with. Compression damping and Rebound damping is mainly done by feel, but if you follow the link that OldSchool provided, you'll see some videos on reading your tires and adjusting suspension accordingly.

Thanks guys, some great info there. Same theory as MX, just needed some sag guidelines. I read that the 06 rear spring was too hard, and they went softer on the 07?

The 06 had a 600lb spring the 07/08 went to a 700lb, at 76kg it should be ok for you i can remember of hand the setup dimensions and sag, i have a stock 06 FZ1 shock 10,000km if you want it i am in NZ, the rear i could live with but i found the front a nightmare the lack of adjustment and a wooden feelling made the ride harsh. After a few racetech bits and pieces it handles like a dream and you may consider a steering dampner it makes a big difference. Setting the suspension comes down to feel, after setting sag & co set everything else neutral find a nice stretch of road and play but make small adjustments at a time, what works for you may not work good to someone else it is all trial and error.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 06 had a 600lb spring the 07/08 went to a 700lb, at 76kg it should be ok for you i can remember of hand the setup dimensions and sag, i have a stock 06 FZ1 shock 10,000km if you want it i am in NZ, the rear i could live with but i found the front a nightmare the lack of adjustment and a wooden feelling made the ride harsh. After a few racetech bits and pieces it handles like a dream and you may consider a steering dampner it makes a big difference. Setting the suspension comes down to feel, after setting sag & co set everything else neutral find a nice stretch of road and play but make small adjustments at a time, what works for you may not work good to someone else it is all trial and error.
Yes, I agree that the front feels unsure, my bike has only done 3500km's, so that combined with my lack of road experience will make it a little hard to set up right now. From my experience most MX bikes come from the factory needing re valving for my weight, to get a nice plush feel. Thanks for the info.

Most go for the fast bits first and suspension last but if you can $ it transforms a good bike into an awesome ride, i have embarassed quite a few power rangers on the track priceless!!!, the poor suspension is the only negative bit on the FZ1 i run Ohlins YA906 in rear as well as the racetech in the front with Ohlins springs for my weight 2k NZ delivered from hardracing.com even cheaper with AUS $ check it out. It always cracks me up how many treads are written about 1-2hp gains and stupid maps? but suspension seems to be way down the priority list. Your riding will inprove 100% when your bike is setup right and feels good if your unsure about setting it up take it to your local bike shop i am sure they will help or know someone who can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys.
If my bike has the standard yamaha suspention. What values do I use on the worksheet oldschool gave us?
07 Fz1s:+1:

The numbers in the Chassis Measurements section are the measurements you need to take from your bike. The Static Sag and Ride Height are figures you reach by subtracting the chassis measurements from each other ie. Rear static sag is Measurement R1-R2.
When you've measured the sag, you then need to adjust it until it's in the ranges shown on the right side of the sheet for example rear sag should be between 10-20mm according to Ohlins.

The preload and compression are adjusted by you to your preferences.
Try reading this article
Sport Bike Suspension Tuning Guide - Sport Rider Magazine
To give you some idea of what adjustments are needed and how they affect the handling.

Personally I've got a friend who's an ex-works Honda Supersport rider who now works in rider coaching and suspension tuning so all my bikes go to him to get the suspension dialled in :tup:

Hi guys.
If my bike has the standard yamaha suspention. What values do I use on the worksheet oldschool gave us?
07 Fz1s:+1:

Just for clarity, I provided a link to a sheet that Va_rider gave us! Thanks belong to Aaron not me.
"Credit where credit is due"

Last edited:
Back