Suspension Fixes?

I am a newbie, so please be kind. Please send me some links for front and rear suspension upgrades. Most every bike I've owned has needed something to make it more road worthy, and it seems like the FZ is a candidate for help. I am not a track rider and have another bike for that type of riding. I am getting the FZ to ride like sport touring and wonder if the stock suspension will be enough. Again, please let me know what you think of stock suspenders and where I can go to get both ends upgraded if needed. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I am a newbie, so please be kind. Please send me some links for front and rear suspension upgrades. Most every bike I've owned has needed something to make it more road worthy, and it seems like the FZ is a candidate for help. I am not a track rider and have another bike for that type of riding. I am getting the FZ to ride like sport touring and wonder if the stock suspension will be enough. Again, please let me know what you think of stock suspenders and where I can go to get both ends upgraded if needed. Thanks!!!

You should really try out the stock set up before doing anything aftermarket. For street riding there is really nothing wrong with the front end. Just be sure to get it properly set up. (search-"Homework assignment" on the forum)http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/7487-homework-assignment.html#post30036 Until today I was happy with the rear shock as well, but it pales by comparison to the Ohlins in every way. I bought my Ohlins YA-906 from; Motorcycle Parts Motorcycle Performance Parts motorcycle Accessories for High Performance

I had an unexpected, large bonus otherwise there is no way I would have spent the $928.00 US plus shipping, etc. to replace a shock that was (as far as I knew) pretty good. If you can afford one, it is Sooooo worth it. I was out doing some rough, bumpy corners and WHAT a difference. No more bouncing and jarring. The rear was glued to the tarmack and I was able to look like a much better rider. Worried about my line and carried a lot more speed through the corner!

Last edited:
+1 on the stock front being sound once set up.
the rear does get a bit bouncy/wallowy though if you push on a bit. I had great success with my Nitron unit. Othersd are happy with Ohlins, Penske, White Power etc. I think as long as you invest in a reasonable spec. unit with a spring that matches yourc weight then improvements will be considerable.
if your a steady away sort you might never notice. The FZ is a suprising bike though and even steady riders have been converted to the darkside by its nature!:disturbed

The rear shock has very little compression damping. That why whe you hit a bumpy road, the rear end feels very busy and unconnected to the road. I had my stock shock modified to add compresion damping by my friend and off-road sponsor Phil Douglas at Aftershocks in Livermore, CA. So now I have a smooth ride and a rebuilbable shock.

He has 2 options (hard and soft) available based on his shock dyno results and my real world testing. The difference is that the hard set-up works better when you ride heavy. I mean with a passenger, luggage, etc... He set the price at $250 which includes all but the shipping cost.

It's a shame your not local. I'd take you on the same loop twice. Once with your stock shock and once with my shock bolted on. That all you need to know how much better a decent shock can be.

+1 0n riding the bike in stock form first. Being a racer I know just how much a shock upgade can help any bike or car. But the stock suspention is not bad at all, after it's set up. I ride very hard and fast, and have not had the bike do anything funny in a turn. I can keep up with about anyone with stock. Its a bit harsh if you do not readjust (just a few clicks on the forks and shock) for touring after setting up for the twisties. But I think thats true for any suspension.
I will tell you, that once you do go for a ride with a high end shock, you will not be able to live without it. That is once you fork out the cash.

It all depends on how much you weight?, if your over 85kg it is going to be a struggle. What sort of riding do you do?, and how much you want to spend?. I have an Ohlins YA906 and it is awesome but you can get a Penske shock for $500 sprung and set-up for your weight, this is the best mod you can do to the FZ1 gen2 so buy something decent.

Thanks guys! Being around bikes for over38 years, I kinda figured the FZ would benefit from new/upgrade suspension. I had a Daytona 955i and it had stock suspension, which worked just fine once the settings were dialed in. I currently have a Daytona 675 with stock suspension and it is dialed in wonderfully for street riding. At 180 lbs. geared up and doing street solo sport touring, I think the rear shock may get a trial period of a couple thousand miles befor eI pounce. You guys are a great help. Thanks again!

Back