Supporting the bike's front end

firefly

Is it OK to support the bike using the Crashbars/Engine Guards, I want to work on the forks & steering bearings, I have T-Rex guards.
Thanks

I'm not sure how the crash bars you mentioned are mounted, but they obviously have to be very sturdy if they are to protect parts in a crash, so my guess would be they'll hold up just fine.

Here's how I do front end work on mine: put the bike on center stand or rear stand. Put a 2x4 under header and use a jack (hydro or scissor will work) to jack it up enough to lift front wheel off the ground.

I'm not sure how the crash bars you mentioned are mounted, but they obviously have to be very sturdy if they are to protect parts in a crash, so my guess would be they'll hold up just fine.

Here's how I do front end work on mine: put the bike on center stand or rear stand. Put a 2x4 under header and use a jack (hydro or scissor will work) to jack it up enough to lift front wheel off the ground.

I use a similar approach:

- bike on center stand
- have someone push down the back so the front tire comes up
- put wood under the headers to the point that it touches the headers or it's close, then let the bike rest on that. Then you don't need a jack there.

I use a similar approach:

- bike on center stand
- have someone push down the back so the front tire comes up
- put wood under the headers to the point that it touches the headers or it's close, then let the bike rest on that. Then you don't need a jack there.

Yup, that works just as well.. IF you have a helper :D

I use a 1 gallon paint can. Fits perfectly under the header... although now that I have the Arrow headers, I guess I have to re-think this. Hmmmm....

Realize that with the bike on the center-stand, the majority of the weight is on the center-stand – with a slight weight-bias towards the front end. (Notice that you can easily lift the front tire off the ground with a firm push on the back seat.) The FZ1 weighs 470+ pounds – you are not supporting anywhere near that much weight when lifting the front tire off the ground by the header with the bike on the CS.

Someone should put a scale between the jack and header – my guess is 30-40 pounds on the header…

Realize that with the bike on the center-stand, the majority of the weight is on the center-stand – with a slight weight-bias towards the front end. (Notice that you can easily lift the front tire off the ground with a firm push on the back seat.) The FZ1 weighs 470+ pounds – you are not supporting anywhere near that much weight when lifting the front tire off the ground by the header with the bike on the CS.

Someone should put a scale between the jack and header – my guess is 30-40 pounds on the header…

I could be paranoid-so I add two ! gallon plastic containers on my trunk bracket.
this is Approx. just under 20 lbs. to balance the weight. I still use a rest under the headers.

Back