Supertrapp custom made exhaust

Eric Lawson

Ok so ive had my 08 Fz1 for about a year and debated about what aftermarked exhaust if any to get. I was happy with stock at first, but soon gutted the header cat painted end cap and heat shield to better match gold rims, looked nice but i needed more sound. i come to this website many times trying to figure which exhaust i would choose but most were too pricey! I wasnt really looking for more HP, just more sound. Also i really didnt wanna sacrifice bottom end torque. My dad come up with the Supertrapp idea, and i checked there website for different options which there are plenty. Disc are available in 3, 4, or 5 inch diameter. I originally was gonna go with small canister mounted using the stock muffler bracket. I ended coming up with the crazy idea of getting a 4 inch disc-only Supertrapp and mounting it after the stock exup valve. I have read the arguments for and against the exup, some claim for backpressure others just for decibals. In either case i figured i could use it with the disc only system. So basically i just cut the stock can off right after exup and had the Supertrapp disc only system welded on. Supertrapp comes with 12 disc, so i had to experiment til i got what i felt was right. 12 disc was way loud with too much backfire! I went to 10, 8, 6, finally got to 5 and finally decided 4 was just right. Its only slightly louder than stock at idle but once the rpm's come up it really screams! Has only a slight backpressure gurgle but i actually think it sounds nice...Cost for all of this? $70 for the Supertrapp disc system, $15 for the aluminum end cap(it comes with a plain polished steel one) and finally $10 for a muffler shop to weld it on. All in all around $100 for my own custom exhaust...that beats any high dollar carbon fiber system and its lighter! I dont know HP or torque numbers but by the seat of my pants dyno, its pulls slightly harder than stock and sounds sweet!

Supertrapp exhaust

All Supertrapp products can be found at STI_Index. I imagine they will ship to anywhere? Prob get better power results from aftermarket exhaust made just for this bike, but i just thought it would be neat to do something different. As for fuel injection, i have left it stock. Supertrapp claims you can check fuel delievery by color of disc. Disc that turn tan to dark brown usually have good balance of exhaust backpressure and fuel delivery. Disc that have no color or turn grey is usually a result from a lean condition. Right now my bike's exhaust disc color is a light brown and idle is smooth as with stock muffler.

Supertrapp exhaust

Will warn it does get loud as the rpm's go up! I can be sitting in traffic and no one is paying attention cause at idle its only slightly louder than stock. But i can twist the throttle and every head in every car will turn around, ha! If anyone does this be sure to find good welder. Guy who welded mine on did sloppy job and i had to grind down weld line. I then painted with high temp flat black clamped on and reconnected exup cables and put on Supertrapp. Will also note i had to remove centerstand, as it uses stock muffler as a stop, but it didnt look good with new exhaust setup. I may end up wraping entire exhaust with heat wrap later on.

unique

Ok so ive had my 08 Fz1 for about a year and debated about what aftermarked exhaust if any to get. I was happy with stock at first, but soon gutted the header cat painted end cap and heat shield to better match gold rims, looked nice but i needed more sound. i come to this website many times trying to figure which exhaust i would choose but most were too pricey! I wasnt really looking for more HP, just more sound. Also i really didnt wanna sacrifice bottom end torque. My dad come up with the Supertrapp idea, and i checked there website for different options which there are plenty. Disc are available in 3, 4, or 5 inch diameter. I originally was gonna go with small canister mounted using the stock muffler bracket. I ended coming up with the crazy idea of getting a 4 inch disc-only Supertrapp and mounting it after the stock exup valve. I have read the arguments for and against the exup, some claim for backpressure others just for decibals. In either case i figured i could use it with the disc only system. So basically i just cut the stock can off right after exup and had the Supertrapp disc only system welded on. Supertrapp comes with 12 disc, so i had to experiment til i got what i felt was right. 12 disc was way loud with too much backfire! I went to 10, 8, 6, finally got to 5 and finally decided 4 was just right. Its only slightly louder than stock at idle but once the rpm's come up it really screams! Has only a slight backpressure gurgle but i actually think it sounds nice...Cost for all of this? $70 for the Supertrapp disc system, $15 for the aluminum end cap(it comes with a plain polished steel one) and finally $10 for a muffler shop to weld it on. All in all around $100 for my own custom exhaust...that beats any high dollar carbon fiber system and its lighter! I dont know HP or torque numbers but by the seat of my pants dyno, its pulls slightly harder than stock and sounds sweet!

Very cool! and unique. I also like that you painted heel rests and rad guards. It all looks great!:Rockon:

I had the stock muffler end cap painted gold to match but obviously its gone. For those who have the gold rims you can get the paint at Auto Zone. Its just some high temp engine paint but it matches rims very good. I painted several pieces then used a high temp clear coat over it. My next project is to lower the bike about two inches front and rear...will post pics when that happens.

Supertrapp/popping/AIS

should also note...which most of you on here know to remove the AIS(air induction system) when switching to aftermarket exhaust. I do get quite alot of popping from the Supertrapp setup on deaceleration at high rpm, which i think is a given with any aftermarket slip on. I havent decided if i will plug up the AIS yet? If no harm can be done to engine from the exhaust popping then only time will tell if it becomes annoying to my ears or i decide to live with it.

So you just cut the exhaust and used the stock pipe right. Just checkin because i am interested in attempting to duplicate what you have already done.

Yes i just cut the stock exhaust right after the exup valve itself. Pipe is 2.5 inches before it opens wider to go into stock can so 2.5 inlet Supertrapp is what i had welded on. Then i painted remaining exup pipe with some high temp flat back. Most Supertrapp kits come with 12 disc which i think is too many to use, i am still adding and removing disc to see what sounds best and keep air/fuel mix good. I will try to get video of how bike sounds and post on youtube, it does'nt sound like any aftermarket exhaust you prob heard.:shine:

Yeah i was ready to ditch the stock exhaust and figured what did i have to lose? As far as i know know one else had tried a Supertrapp and i really didnt wanna spend $400 or more on something. I just kinda got creative and come up with the idea and so far i am very happy with results. It looks great and sounds distinctly different, its a win win.

Yeah i was ready to ditch the stock exhaust and figured what did i have to lose? As far as i know know one else had tried a Supertrapp and i really didnt wanna spend $400 or more on something. I just kinda got creative and come up with the idea and so far i am very happy with results. It looks great and sounds distinctly different, its a win win.

don't forget that the bike is about 7KG lighter now

Bought the parts today found a good welder (or so he clams ) hopefully can have this all done soon. Not like it matters its cold and snowing here.

Back