Suggestions on a new Helmet

I've been a big Arai fan for the past 20 years as they always seemed to fit my head better but after getting fed up with their side pods breaking and their tricky visor change I tried a Shoei XR1100 for size and found it fitted just as well as my Arai and I am now converted. Easy visor change, no more broken pods, very comfortable and light and excellent build quality.

Has anyone tried the Bell RS-1? That one seems like a great value as well, even after buying that variable tint shield. I'm not sure if it would fit my head, though. My old HJC is about perfect, so I guess I'm a "round head". This Bell is for the oval headed, apparently.

RS-1 Motorcycle Helmet - Bell Helmets

Read my post on page 2. I have the R21 with photosensitive visor and it is a great helmet. I find it not very quite but I use ear plugs and then it is quite. The head shape is more oval that is why I like it. Round will fit better to shoei.

Get a $1500 Skully and tell us how you like that gadget hat. Seriously, I have a Shoei 1100 and a Shoei Quest. The Quest fits better, is more quiet and I flat out love it.

The problem is that even within a brand the head shape vary. Add to that the size variation and you have a mess trying to buy a helmet without having it on for a half hour or so.

Bottom line is that the best helmet is one that fits properly and has the features you want.

I've had my share of Shoei's and Arai's and they are great helmets. I just got tired of the shield function on the Arai's so my last couple of helmets have been HJC. Their top line offerings (Korean made) are very, very fine products at significantly less cost. Three months ago I bought an HJC RPHA-10 Lorenzo graffiti and am very happy with it. Very quiet and comfortable, and love the graphics. But it also comes in solids and more subdued graphics for the less adventurous. HJC is great bang for the Korean buck.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. I just picked up an HJC RPHA 10. It is last years model, because of that the local shop had it heavily discounted. The first thing I noticed is how light it is. The anti-fog capability got tested on the way home from the shop. I got caught in a torrential rain (heaviest rain i've seen in a while) and the helmet didn't fog at all, nor did any water find its way onto the inside of the visor :D Very impressive! The thick cheek pads and chin pad help keep wind noise down at high speeds. Great helmet, worth the money!

I use an Arai Rebel in frost black (Matt black) it's almost the same as my quantum F but with a deeper chin. Apparently it's designed for naked bikes. It works well, fits well and looks the nuts. Well happy with Arai lids, it's mt 5th one now after having shoei and agv lids before. I'm now a Arai user. Check out the Arai Rebel.

Not sure if you can see this link but here goes

Arai Rebel - Frost Black - Demon Tweeks

Last edited:
I have the HJC FG-17 and absolutely love it. I had a bit less expensive HJC and it saved my life back in June of this year, so I went with the FG-17 without hesitation - it's quieter, has excellent ventilation, and has this cool anti-fog inner windshield-thing that works great. Can't recommend it enough! Bought it off of Amazon for less than $200. Oh - these run a bit small - I have a 7 5/8 hat size, but the XXL fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Different head shapes will fit different brands/models. My best might be your worst. If you wear glasses sun or prescription that is another point to consider. The HJC RPHA 10 is a very good helmet but I couldn't squeeze a thin metal frame glasses between my head and a liner. Arai shield can be replaced in 3 seconds without even taking the helmet off if you know what you're doing.
But I think no one can suggest the helmet to you without knowing what fits YOUR head.

Back