suggestions for tank bags

hankhill11

2005 fz1
I've never had a tank bag.. but i just ordered a hard case/tail trunk to replace both my soft saddle bags. I think i'd like to add a tank bag as well.

I dont want anything giant, just something that can hold a lunch bag, and has a clear pouch for my gps/phone or a paper map (LOL).

I dont really know much about pros and cons of magnet vs straps, no idea how straps attach.. i guess a quick release for fuel is a nice idea, however, it does not need to be a backpack style. thanks in advance.

I have a Cortech magnetic tank bag and it works great. Easy on/off and stays put once on the tank. Big enough to carry, cell phone, wallet, keys, camera, hat, etc.

Cortech :: Super 10 Liter Tank Bag

And here it is on my bike (it's a Gen II, but bag should work on your Gen I as well):

attachment.php

Have a Tourmaster magnetic about the same size as NJFZ1, works great unzips to expand up. Increases volume about 25%, comes with rain cover. Check Iron Pony they have this kind of stuff on sale all the time.

Tank bags are all pretty basic. I always prefer a magnetic bag if the tank is steel. I have a Nelson Rigg magnetic bag and it works fine. Powerful magnets and it works great, no moving around or scratching of tank. Just shop around for a size and features (pockets, map pocket, etc) that suits you.)

I do get along well with the expanding option. my old soft tail/saddle bags expanded really well. Rollnhot, which one did you go with? I'm not sure how much i really want to spend quite yet, but the bag NJFZ1 linked looks very nice.

I have the Bags Connection Engage Bag. It is pretty expensive $190, but I love the fit and have no worries about scratching my tank. It is also much bigger than it looks.

I have had a great experience with Oxford Products tank bags. They have a series of luggage that has a lifetime warranty and are priced well. I'm using the X2 tank bag and it's the perfect size for me. Waterproof, strong magnets, expandable and durable; $40 and lifetime warranty sold it for me.

Oxford%20X2%20Tank%20Bag%20New_medium.jpg

Last edited:
I do get along well with the expanding option. my old soft tail/saddle bags expanded really well. Rollnhot, which one did you go with? I'm not sure how much i really want to spend quite yet, but the bag NJFZ1 linked looks very nice.

Tourmaster 12 litre has detachable map cover, strap, rain cover. 71.99 on sale right now at Iron Pony reg. 74.99. My son in law has next size bigger same features plus a couple of side pockets, think he paid around 100.00.

Back