Suggestions for 2 week British Columbia trip

PDX15

Greetings,

I am planning on taking a 2 week trip from Portland, Oregon to Canada. I have never been so I'm asking for some reccomendations. I definately want to go through Banff, Jasper, Kootenay and Glacier. Any other must-see places I should check out? I was going to do a loop up to Prince George and back down through Kamloops but it doesn't look like there is much stuff along that route. Any other route suggestions? I will most likely be by myself and plan to camp most of the time.

Thanks much!

Do you have any particular reason for going to Prince George? There's lots of lovely riding in BC but Prince George doesn't have any of it :) I will make a little map of must-see places and roads in BC

Here's a great route to consider:
http://goo.gl/maps/cGEbH

You'll do a bit of the coast up to Aberdeen, WA and then up through the Olympic Peninsula, across to Whidbey Island and then I5 up into BC. Following Highway 99 up through Vancouver, you'll end up on the Sea to Sky Highway up to Whistler and Pemberton through Duffey Lake Provincial Park. Keep going north into 100 Mile House, you'll cross the Little Fort Highway and reconnect with Highway 5 which takes you to Jasper.

From there, it's into Banff and Glacier National Park & the town of Golden and back west into Vernon. From Vernon, you head east through Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo and south to Creston on the absolute best riding in BC, bar none. This is all very beautiful country. From Creston, you head west on the Crowsnest Highway through wine country & Osoyoos where you'll cross back into the US on the east side of the Cascades and back to Portland via the Columbia River

Last edited:
No reason to go to Prince George, just looking for a nice, scenic loop to get to know my FZ. I could probably just spend the whole time near Banff and be perfectly happy. Thanks Dustin!

That's what I'm talkin' about! Looks like a perfect loop. I'll have to check for road closures from the recent flooding, seems that some plaes were hit pretty hard.

Beware of cops

PX15...Beware, there's Plenty o cops on stretch of Sea to Sky Highway from Horseshoe Bay up to Whistler and Pemberton...they'll take your bike if your 40km+ or 25mph over the limit but you must definitely make it a part of your trip...well worth it. Make sure to make a pit stop in Whistler Village.

The only input I have is from a car trip 26 years ago...but Lake Louise and Lake Moraine are really wonderful. This sounds like a fabulous trip!

Another option would be go North from Spokane to Trail...then Creston, Cranbrook, Radium, Golden, Salmon Arm, Kelowna and either to Vancouver or work your way back via Osoyoos to Washington.
Have riden that loop absolutely amazing and not soooo many police at all.

Another option would be go North from Spokane to Trail...then Creston, Cranbrook, Radium, Golden, Salmon Arm, Kelowna and either to Vancouver or work your way back via Osoyoos to Washington.
Have riden that loop absolutely amazing and not soooo many police at all.

Hi Markowinnipeg,

I was thinking about returning to Oregon via that route. From Cranbrook, making my way to the 3, or Crowsnest hwy, or whatever it's called, then through Osyoos and into Washington. Sounds better than just heading back into the states from Kootenay.

Do you or anyone else have any input about fishing? I was pondering buying an 8 day license for some trout fishing but am not sure what 8 days of my trip I should do it? I am basically doing Whistler to Kamloops via 99, then 5 to Jasper and down to Banff, then back on the 3.

Thanks!!

Gas Pricing

Be prepared for a real shock at the gas pumps in B.C. I was just through coming back into Canada Via Nelway and up through Nelson. I went from paying an average of $1.00 per liter ($3.78 per U.S. gallon) for Premium in Idaho and Washington (Metaline) to $1.60 per liter in B.C. Is it any wonder I have started riding more south of the Border these days. Then my first fuel up in Coleman, Alberta the Price for premium was down to $1.31 per liter.

Back