sub throttle plates/ flies

silentg

just a quick question for the uk riders.

how many of you are either running no flies/tied or smaller ones like ivans or copperdawgs?

i know our american brothers swear by them either out or smaller but they get way better weather than us. im looking for pros and cons for removing them altogether rather than cutting them down or changing to smaller ones.

as of this week i will have an arrow set of headers (fitted monday :D ), pc3, mivv gp carbon, bmc filter, airbox mod but i have not touched the flies.

comments? :) cheers

When you are referring to way better weather, are you saying that you have to ride in the rain more? The throttle response is a bit of a handful on slick roads.

Beast

hi beast, yes, we have a lot more wet weather over here and autumn/winter is starting now :(

beast, whilst you're here... is the no flies any different to smaller flies?
also, would i defo need a remap for the headers?

I am convinced that MAP based tuning is the only way to go on these bikes. In the UK the weather swings are not quite as extreme as they are here in the Midwest. You really don't deal serious elevation changes like some people deal with. You may be able to get by on one base tune.

Regarding flies, I have never tried cut down flies. I did play around with tuning with the flies intact and with them wired open. I prefer the consistency of the throttle response with them tied open. It takes quite a bit of accelerator pump added by the PC5 to get things right. Way more than I have ever seen advised anywhere on the net.

Have fun tuning.

Beast

just a quick question for the uk riders.

how many of you are either running no flies/tied or smaller ones like ivans or copperdawgs?

i know our american brothers swear by them either out or smaller but they get way better weather than us. im looking for pros and cons for removing them altogether rather than cutting them down or changing to smaller ones.

as of this week i will have an arrow set of headers (fitted monday :D ), pc3, mivv gp carbon, bmc filter, airbox mod but i have not touched the flies.

comments? :) cheers

I'm running the copperdawg files. Torque really improved with them installed. At the same time I did the Lars Air Box mod. Both together improved low and mid range response. Not explosive power but a steady controlled power increase. I recommend the copperdawg files. THey are easy to install. Just follow the steps in the copperdawg video on installing the files. I think you'll like the results especially combined with the lars air box mod. Good Luck!

Flies mod or no flies mod

Do not bother trying to cut them down unless your mega skilled in the workshop,
I'm running smaller flies, Ivans i think and its worth the cash/effort, definately gets more air into the cylinders I did this as part of a performance mod which included the Air box mod, de-cat, race filter, cheap race slip-on and PC3 with custom map.
All these mods together transformed the performance but reveals the limitations of the stock suspension/tyres/brakes
I ended up replacing the rear with a nitro unit and had the front re-sprung/re-valved by Maxton.
Also tried fitting a "one tooth less" front sprocket and that really livened things up.
Also fitted some sticky tires and uprated brake pads/lines to cope with the extra ponies.
Oh the joys of customising....ended up spending enough money to take the family away for a two week holiday in the south of france, but was it worth it.....Mmmmmmm ....absolutely worth every penny, it still scare's the life out of me two years down the line :D:D:D

Last edited:
Back