stumped on new (used) wheel installation

Hey Everyone

Maybe some of you have seen my other posts about my bent front wheel. Well I got a new used one and just installed it, was my first time. Was pretty straight forward and I didn't have any issues putting it on. The brake calipers went on easily too. I switched the rotors from my old wheel to the new wheel.

QUESTION 1)
After it was installed I got right in front of the wheel to see if it was centered. It wasn't perfectly centered, probably off by 1/16-1/8". Should it be perfect?

QUESTION 2)
I grabbed the tire to give it a good spin before the calipers went on and it ran very true. After the calipers went on, I gave it another good spin but this time it would not spin very long. The pads seemed to be rubbing too much on the rotors. I gave the lever a couple good squeezes to try and seat the pads but same result. I even tried going on a quick test ride and after coming back the same result. Is this normal? Could the rotors and or pads of gotten foobed when the wheel was bent?

Your advice is much appreciated!! Thanks - Aaron

Could you feel the rotors pulsing through the brake lever? will the bike track straight when you take your hands off the bars?

If your answers are no the the first and yes to the second you should be fine.

Not wishing to be pessimistic but it is possible you may have tweeked one of the fork legs ,, it did take a good hit (from previous pics )

May even be a little twisted in the triple clamps (Trees) That could explain it not looking perfectly centered? Used to happen a lot on dirt bikes after a big hit.

Yah, I guess that is possible. Nothing is visible, but then again its probably not a visible thing. Is there any specific way to tell if they are tweaked? Would they compress normally?

Not wishing to be pessimistic but it is possible you may have tweeked one of the fork legs ,, it did take a good hit (from previous pics )

To fix a tweaked fork, loosen the top triple clamps only, put the front tire against a solid wall and push down hard on the handlebars several times to bounce the front suspension. Back it off the wall, put it on the center stand and tighten the top triple clamps to spec.

Friend of mine had his wheel bearings replaced by a bike shop and had a very similar problem. Fixed by the shop but very vague on what they got wrong. I suspect they hadn't seated the bearings properly on at least one side and the cir-clip would not have been seated either.

Back