Stumbled Upon One

Hey Folks,

New to this forum, and have done a couple of searches and found some fantastic advice and pics, (Pics being Key :) )

As the title says, I was not really looking for a bike but it kinda fell in my lap.

It's an 01 and had been sitting for a while, it would turn over but not start. After an "Initial" carb cleaning we got it to run but it is rough on the bottom end. It has Ivan's jetting and I knew the previous owner so I'm pretty confident the carbs were dialed in correctly. We tore it down again last night for a more thorough cleaning.

a couple of my, soon to be many questions, are................

1. Advice on possible problems with rough running on the bottom?

2. What is an EXUP Cable??.............Choke? and what position is the lever supposed to be in? Is it supposed to Vary depending on RPM ect....?

3. Why is it When we chop the throttle the bike quits running, and will not drop to an idle?

Any possible help would be greatly appreciated of course because everything I read says this is a pretty nifty ride and it may be a keeper.

T

Sounds like the carbs are still dirty - fouled with bad gas. If it has been sitting for a long time the gas in the carbs will go gummy - leave deposits. Needs a thorough cleaning. Disassembly, soak in cab cleaner, a blow out with compressed air - all passages.
Check all clamps, connections for air leakage.

If you are not familiar with thorough carburetor cleaning - maybe find someone who is.

Whenever I'm cleaning carbs I find that its easier to just buy new jets. It not to expensive and it saves a lot of headache. The smallest piece of gunk freeing up later on can cause you problems again. Strip the carbs down and put them in a parts cleaner. If you don't have one a local bike shop will do it for you. Once the carbs are clean put them back together with you new jets and gaskets.

If you are going to do a thorough job on the carbs, You'll have to tear them down completely, which means all the jets, and leave nothing to chance. Hopefully the PO knew what he was doing and it ran fine with the way he had it set up. You'll have to soak the carbs well, then blow them out with some high pressure air. As you remove things, take note of how they are, I.E, how many turns the jets are out or needle settings etc. That way, you can make sure you get them back in the way they were. I'd also check the jet sizes to see if they are stock or not because if you buy new carb kits, they may offer different jet sizes or stock. It's nice to know that you are puting in the same size you may take out. The last time I did a job like this I also cecked my valve clearance and found I had to do some re-shiming. You might as well get it right before you find out a little at a time just how much work you need.

Also look up ivans jet kit specs they will tell you what notch to put the needle at and how many turns out for your fuel screw just make sure they are is spec for what your bike needs. Whatever stage jet kit is needed. As for the other questions I hope someone chimes in soon for you.

Back