Strider's 2014 Trip Report Thread

I'd love to keep it on the bike but now with the Power Commander and tool kit and my Registration and Insurance papers, I don't think it would fit. That's one thing I miss about the GenI. I was able to fit all kinds of stuff under that seat!

I just got a smiggler and i reslly like billy it sesms like it will hold a tool kit plus quite a bit more

That is just heart wrenching to see! That poor Yami. Well that will be a trip to remember. Hopefully you'll look back some time from now and chuckle about it. For now I hope everything gets straightened out for you.

A trip to remember indeed!

Actually, I'm already laughing - Ha! Life is all about attitude any way, right? I choose to have a good one - well, at least I try to most days. Sometimes things just happen. We just have to work with what we've got and continue to move forward.

I think it'll all work out in the end. So far, Progressive has been more than accomodating, and they seem to have my best interest at heart. For now, things are looking up. If only I that gauge cluster would get here sooner. I'm about to have to knock the dust off the SV650 and start riding that! A better deal would be it I could just sell the SV already, and go down and get that new KTM 1190 Adventure that I want!

You are amazing! You mean you could actually fit the owner's manual under your seat!? Impressive!!!!

Yeah, well there isn't much else under there right now. I don't have a Power Commander or anything like that on the bike, so just the stock tool kit and the book is all that's in there. Of course now, I may not keep the book on the bike. I had it in a ziplock bag, but there were holes in the bag, and so water got in.

Last edited:
Hey man it sounds like it could have been alot worse. Good thing you where " watching HD TV" is that what they call it now days? Haha You could have been out riding in that crap !! ive seen floods happen like that working Victorian houses in Cape May NJ. Water can move alot of stuff quik!! If your ever nesr the Delaware bridge again your welcome to stop here!'

No really, lol, we were watching TV! Ha,ha!! That JoJo Gaines on 'Fixer Upper' is a cutie!

Appreciate the invite, Brudda! I'll have to get back up that way one of these days - I have to finish the trip!

Went to pick up the FZ1 yesterday ...

Paid, signed papers, geared up, and hopped on the bike. Almost immediately I noticed that the bike seemed to be lacking power, like it was anemic, or having trouble breathing. I pulled out onto the freeway feeder road and twisted the throttle with a mind to lay into it, but nothing happened. I knew I would have to turn right back around and drop the bike back off to them. Sigh, not even a mile away, and already having the predicted 'weird electrical problems'. The check engine light popped on as I came out of the freeway underpass U-turn.

I had a lunch/beer date with one of the guys I am going to ride to Colorado with, so I went ahead and met them for lunch. The lunch spot was, fortunately, just on the other side of the freeway from the bike shop. So, I met their 5 month old son - Troy the 3rd, had a beer, and talked about the Colorado trip. After that I made another U-turn, and returned the bike to the dealership. They looked surprised to see me, but were very nice and took the bike around back to pull the code. The problem? A frozen velocity stack servo motor. Just the kind of thing that happens when a flooded bike sits up for 2 weeks while waiting for a gauge cluster to come in.

Initially they said about $1000 for the part, but upon checking they realized that they wouldn't have to get the entire throttle body assembly - they could order just the offending servo motor. So, it's only going to be a $300 repair. Again, the bike will have to sit waiting for parts - this time 3 weeks. Who knows, maybe more stuff will corrode while it's sitting there, we'll see.

The insurance has already been notified to get out their ink pen and checkbook. I'm just wondering how much coin they'll have to drop, or how many times they'll have to open this claim back up before they realize that they should have just totaled the bike. I'd hate to see the bike totaled, but I told them from the start that is should just be totaled ... anyway, we'll see. For now, it appears that they want to gamble, and that's fine - I have their roadside service coverage, and am looking forward to using it.

For now, the bike won't be making the trip to Colorado Springs - but no worries, my trusty SV650S is waiting in the wings, and she's just been dying to hit the highway again ...

Thanks for the update! What a shame. I wonder, like you say, what it will take until the insurance company realises they made a mistake. Glad you have that SV to ride in the meantime

Back