Stretching my swingarm a bit and need some help

mjfreuland

So i'm streetching my swingarm about six inches (08 fz1) and I need to know some things. I need to know what kind of chain, 520 or 530, and where I can get a good deal on that and some break lines and suck. What else might I need??? Any help I would really appreciate.

I imagine you could get away with the lighter chain and sprocket unless you are putting some serious HP down. Brake lines I don't have much experience with but I do believe Hel lines have been working for people here.

I would stay with a 530 chain. If you're going for a 6" stretch then obviously you will need a longer chain. Measure 6" on your current chain and count the number of links in that 6" segment. Now multiply it by 2 (top and bottom of the chain) and you'll know how many additional links you'll need over the stock length.

As for the brake line the same logic applies. Add 6" to the factory length and order a custom length one from HEL (or another outfit).

Needless to say the factory fender has to go, but you probably already got rid of it. A swing arm plate mount would probably also be needed.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted ;)

Forum member "devilsyam" would be a good source for Q/A. There is not much he has not tried to customize the FZ (gen 1 mainly), bit I do know that he has successfully married many parts from within the Yamaha family as well as other makes. He has also just made his own parts to fit his liking.

Getting ready for the strip? What else are you planning?

I don't plan to drag, I just really love the look. So another question I have is how many links are in the stock chain? I can measure the brake lines but counting the chain links isn't something I would look forward to. I'm doing the six inch stretch with gold braided lines front and rear, adding the mirror block off plates, and possibly getting a few more spiked things to go with what I already have. I also plan on getting those blade shaped levers so Imay be parting with my pazzo gold/black shorties if anybody might be interested. I'm going for the look in both of these pictures.

imgres

I don't plan to drag, I just really love the look. So another question I have is how many links are in the stock chain? I can measure the brake lines but counting the chain links isn't something I would look forward to. I'm doing the six inch stretch with gold braided lines front and rear, adding the mirror block off plates, and possibly getting a few more spiked things to go with what I already have. I also plan on getting those blade shaped levers so Imay be parting with my pazzo gold/black shorties if anybody might be interested. I'm going for the look in both of these pictures.

Stock chain has 122 links...

So i'm streetching my swingarm about six inches (08 fz1) and I need to know some things. I need to know what kind of chain, 520 or 530, and where I can get a good deal on that and some break lines and suck. What else might I need??? Any help I would really appreciate.

Neon lights, much more chrome, custom paint job with lots of skulls preferably...:nana: J/K

Are you planning on hitting the drag strip? If that's the case then you should probably check out some other websites for more specific tips on setup. Eventually you will realize that you started out on the wrong bike and should have got a Busa or ZX14...

If you're just doing it for looks then I have nothing to offer other than don't do it...

Neon lights, much more chrome, custom paint job with lots of skulls preferably...:nana: J/K

Are you planning on hitting the drag strip? If that's the case then you should probably check out some other websites for more specific tips on setup. Eventually you will realize that you started out on the wrong bike and should have got a Busa or ZX14...

If you're just doing it for looks then I have nothing to offer other than don't do it...

Not a big fan of neon lights or to much chrome myself. But why do you think it's your place to tell someone else what to their bike? If you don't like it don't do it to yours.

Not a big fan of neon lights or to much chrome myself. But why do you think it's your place to tell someone else what to their bike? If you don't like it don't do it to yours.

Kinda like you just did to me...

Maybe you missed the J/K part. Let me spell it out for you: "Just Kidding"

Anyways dude posed a question and I offered my advice. What did you offer to the thread?...

Alright guys no need for tension, I did ask for help and he gave his opinion. No harm done man, I totally get why some people are against it, I just really love the looks and don't like to race twisties so it seems like something I'd really like to do. Thank you EVERYONE for your opinions

The 06-11 fz1 looks good extended you wil enjoy the bike if not you will sell it and get something else.
I want to see pix of everything you do to it.
Good luck on your journy to maing the bike your own.

Back