Stress Crack In Frame on 2007 FZ1

Well, we have found a stress crack in the frame of my 2007 FZ1. Right in the weld on the frame on the right side. Luckily it was discovered and Billy didn't have to deal with it, although I know how bummed he is.

I've been riding with my daughter on that bike for over 12,000 miles and just can't believe the danger we've been in. Wish there was a way to know when it happened or why. I'm being told this isn't unique to just my bike but who ever imagines the frame on their bike would crack without it going down?

Hopefully the new owner will get it resolved with Yamaha. I'll let you guys know what Yamaha Corporate says about it but I'm sure it will take a while.

All I can think is how my family would have felt if it wasn't discovered and something happened to us or Billy from the frame. Billy rode over 100 miles with us on Saturday to celebrate my birthday on that bike! Thank God it never went bad.

Just thought the forum should know the problem is real and does effect FZ1 frames.

Here is the photo of the crack. Man, I was devastated when Tony noticed this since I was almost home with the bike. I had only stopped at Tony's to pick up a Corbin Seat for the YZF. Being that it was so early in the morning, the sun was beaming directly down on the frame which was why you could spot the crack. Out of the sunlight it goes un-noticed. It really put a damper on an otherwise great weekend with Brian. I am glad however, that nothing tragic occurred while Brian and Lexi were on that bike. You would think that since this is a known issue, Yamaha would set up some kind of recall since this is a real safety issue and can cause serious injury or death should it come completely apart while riding! Very disappointed in Yamaha! Well, I almost had a killer ride! :(

The Crack.......

CAM00500_zpsd91d3147.jpg

Thanks for the photo.
Sure do agree about the severity of the problem - and Yamaha's not best way of handling this as a known safety issue.
Yeah, they will most likely fix it .... but... Yikes! What a bad taste it can leave in your mouth about Yamaha.

Wow that is one hell of a crack.

Hopefully Yamaha will do the right thing.

What year models are susceptible to frame cracks?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Oh man.. so sorry to see this! Sincerely hope Yamaha steps up.

I know there's an old thread on this forum about frame cracking.. loads of people chimed in. This is a relatively common issue, sadly.

I've put ~25k on my bike.. thanks for the reminder to check it again.. which I will do shortly.

Would it be wrong to congratulate Billy on the new bike here? :(
Really really hope this will get sorted out without too much hassle.

Glad it held,

I found this info some place, maybe here on the 07's I think, before buying my 09. I asked a few bike shop's about it before hand, all of which had no clue, and that look like a deer in the head lights.

I'm sure they will fix the issue with a new one, they should.

Just glad that all of you are safe!

Take it up the Yamaha chain starting with the local dealer. Go in with the sympathy card first, then the forceful Brian last. ;) Keep us informed!

Common issue! went thru it with minw, yamaha was never intended to replace it as bike was imported from UK.
welder did fantastic job improving factory flows without even taking bike apart:bowdown:

Common issue! went thru it with minw, yamaha was never intended to replace it as bike was imported from UK.
welder did fantastic job improving factory flows without even taking bike apart:bowdown:

Sorry to derail the thread, but Riga?? Wow.. I was born in Riga in 74 (well.. Salaspils) and lived there till I moved to the States when I was 14.

Oh man.. so sorry to see this! Sincerely hope Yamaha steps up.

Would it be wrong to congratulate Billy on the new bike here? :(
Really really hope this will get sorted out without too much hassle.

No need for that. Brian basically ordered me to bring the bike back the same morning and refund the money. It never got off my trailer that day. We were both devastated but things will work out for both of us. I'm just glad that nothing bad happened.

Will Inspect my 2008

I'll have to give my 08 the once over on my weekend clean ups. That is one scary looking crack.

Yamaha better provide replacement frames or I'd be shopping for a different brand 998.

Checked mine over lunch, as closely as I could. No cracks. That weld does go all the way around. No way I can get to the inside of the frame on the right side without pulling parts off.

No need for that. Brian basically ordered me to bring the bike back the same morning and refund the money. It never got off my trailer that day. We were both devastated but things will work out for both of us. I'm just glad that nothing bad happened.
If Yamaha fixes it for free you should still get it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of it and checked their frames. So glad Billy had a good pic of the crack because all of mine were crap.

I actually sold the bike already to someone who also owns an FZ1 and wanted all the upgraded parts off it anyway and they are going to go to Yamaha to try and resolve it. Billy may well be able to buy it off him IF Yamaha fixes it. I just had no interest in dealing with it with the new house and so much going on right now. Settled for about fifty cents on the dollar of the bikes value just to not have to deal with it as p*ssed as I am right now.

Happy to hear many of you don't have any issues.

Ride safely!

Brian

What's strange is that is obviously a broken weld but from what I can see in the picture there isn't any reason the weld should break. There may have been something on the back side I can't see. Most of the time a weld breaks right at the edge of the bead where it has seen the most heat but not been fused.

What's strange is that is obviously a broken weld but from what I can see in the picture there isn't any reason the weld should break. There may have been something on the back side I can't see. Most of the time a weld breaks right at the edge of the bead where it has seen the most heat but not been fused.

It is a manufacturing defect - defective weld process in the Yamaha assembly process. It began with the new frame design - with the change-over to Gen 2 with the 2006's. Most cracks that occurred were with the 06 models - but not all 06's cracked - only a small percentage cracked - most are OK.

Yamaha tried to improve when it became obvious there was a flaw - so the 07's were somewhat improved - and not as many cracked frames occurred with the 07's. By the 08's Yamaha had pretty much corrected the production process trouble.

Wish they'd fixed the fuel injection troubles (snatching) that began with the 06's, too. Improvement there has been much slower and not complete.

Make good arguments for Gen I's.

Back