Strange Oil Warning Problem

Hi guys - I've been getting a weird problem with my oil warning light.
In the morning, I start it up, and after riding about 1/2 mile, the light will come on. It doesn't seem to go out (I don't have the bottle to leave it like that too long), but if I pull in the clutch, kill the engine, then start it again, the light goes out and stays out.

The weird bit is that it's the only time it does it. It doesn't even do it at the start of the ride home, 9-10 hours later.
I've got a oil & filter change planned now, but was just curious if anyone else had hit this issue.

The light only indicates oil level, it has nothing to do with circulation or pressure status. Either the sensor is bad (not likely) or the oil level is low (likely). Add just a bit of oil and see if it doesn't go away.

Perhaps this is obvious but have you checked the oil level; you don't mention that??

Doh! I always forget to include something...... The level is about half-way.

It's been just over a year, and about 4,000 miles since the last change, so I thought I might as well go the whole hog with it. Just waiting for the oil & filter to arrive. I haven't just topped it up, as I didn't have any of the right grade lying around.

If the sensor is only checking the level, then it could make a bit of sense, as I'm just starting to go down a hill on the morning, outward journey when it does it. For the return trip, that first stretch is all uphill. I do also use the front brakes quite heavily (sometimes with a little stoppy) at the start of the trip to try and make some traffic lights recognise that I'm actually there.

Common problem with a lot of Yamaha's in general. Keep the oil lever near the high mark and the light should not be a problem. Just a level indicator as already mentioned.

Hi guys - I've been getting a weird problem with my oil warning light.
In the morning, I start it up, and after riding about 1/2 mile, the light will come on. It doesn't seem to go out (I don't have the bottle to leave it like that too long), but if I pull in the clutch, kill the engine, then start it again, the light goes out and stays out.

The weird bit is that it's the only time it does it. It doesn't even do it at the start of the ride home, 9-10 hours later.
I've got a oil & filter change planned now, but was just curious if anyone else had hit this issue.

Mine does the same thing. But the oil level is fine.

Since I'm not quite sure what to do about it and it's not consistent, I'm not doing anything at all.

Mine does the same thing. But the oil level is fine.

Since I'm not quite sure what to do about it and it's not consistent, I'm not doing anything at all.

It's very possible that the sensor (float) will get stuck once in a while and give a false reading. If you're sure your oil level is fine then it's safe to ignore...

Sounds real similar to a behavior I had on my FZ6. It was on the low side, but still reading on the dipstick in late fall. When it got cold, on cold mornings only, the light would come on and stay on. Poured in about a cup of oil and it stopped.

Doh! I always forget to include something...... The level is about half-way.

It's been just over a year, and about 4,000 miles since the last change, so I thought I might as well go the whole hog with it. Just waiting for the oil & filter to arrive. I haven't just topped it up, as I didn't have any of the right grade lying around.

If the sensor is only checking the level, then it could make a bit of sense, as I'm just starting to go down a hill on the morning, outward journey when it does it. For the return trip, that first stretch is all uphill. I do also use the front brakes quite heavily (sometimes with a little stoppy) at the start of the trip to try and make some traffic lights recognise that I'm actually there.

Mine does same thing, keep it to top of sight glass and no problems. It is a common Gen 1 problem.

Back