strange noise at startup

Hi all
So bike is on the centre stand in the garage, cold start up ..close to a minute at idle i get this noise like a nut rattleing around in one headpipe.. ting/ting ting...well thats what it sounds like...noise will come and go...with a stetherscope i can hear the noise slightley on the other side of the exup valve....when fully warmed up its ok no noise. Could it be the ex up valve..The engine runs perfect when i get this noise..

Last edited:
How many miles are on the machine?

The valves use a bucket and shim so I doubt that if you have right around <25k miles that you would hear any audible noise from one being out of adjustment. Now if one become unseated because of some freak machining gone wrong then I could see that.

You could remove the header and see what drops out. This would narrow down the cause by identifying the material (if in fact it is something inside the pipe).

You could remove the header and see what drops out. This would narrow down the cause by identifying the material (if in fact it is something inside the pipe).

If it really is on the other side of the exhaust valve then I don't think it would be viewable by removing the header. I suppose it depend what "The other side" really means.

it sounds like no matter what the tank, header, airbox and whatever else is in your way is coming off.

Don't forget to replace your spark plugs while you are at it ;)

Problem solved it was the exup valve,..pulling the cable cover on the valve 3 screws.. i could see the valve was loose, adjusting the cables fixed it. Must have been the butterfly inside the exup.
So if anyone has the same noise at cold startup check the exup cable adjustment.. 33,240 miles first time its been adjusted...

Nice find. I would suggest putting threadlocker on there but don't because there is a lock nutt and there is not really any true reason to :p

I didn't know they had to be adjusted. What for, is to open it up more from the motor? Or just for when the cable stretches

I would suggest removing the valve, cleaning it well, and applying copper grease to it and re-installing. You may as well get it done now since you should do it every 11,000 miles. If you have 32K on the clock it might be overdue.

I would suggest removing the valve, cleaning it well, and applying copper grease to it and re-installing. You may as well get it done now since you should do it every 11,000 miles. If you have 32K on the clock it might be overdue.

I thought the FZ1 was about every 22k?

Not sure about the GenII but I'm almost sure I read that the GenI was every 11K. That's the intervals that I checked mine. It takes less than an hour and keeps the valve working properly. It was more performance related on the 01 to 05 bikes, where it was more sound related on the GenII models. He has 32K so either way he's overdue for a greasing.

my Gen 1 had a rattle sound when starting for a bit whilst putting helmet/gloves on, tightening the exup cable a tad at servo adjuster end solved it

Back