Strange but a result!!!

B

Buildercher

For a while i have been meaning to remove the cat in the headers but just having been arsed to do it, well i took off the Mivv slip-on and link pipe to clean it and found the cat converter hanging out of the header?. I removed it intact with steel ring, this is the result wow the improvement is noticable more mid-range and top-end, it sounds deeper and more throaty i wish i had done this mod first.

For a while i have been meaning to remove the cat in the headers but just having been arsed to do it, well i took off the Mivv slip-on and link pipe to clean it and found the cat converter hanging out of the header?. I removed it intact with steel ring.

Wow that was easy! That is strange, but nice when the bike does the work for you. How heavy is that thing when it is all in 1 piece?

Let me get it right....the cat honycomb is incorperated into the exup valve on a FZ ...?

No, on the Gen II FZ1 there are two catalytics, one in the header collector and one in the muffler. Once you replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket one you get rid of one cat and the EXUP valve since that is part of the muffer as well.

The only way to get rid of the cat in the header is to either replace the header (easy ;)) or break it into pieces to get it out. I guess Buildercher got lucky (probably due to a defect) and the whole header honeycomb came out in one piece.

So, was there a lot of noise or rattling coming from the exhaust before you removed it? Seems they missed some welds there! :D Luck man! Now you can put it back should the need arise!

The cat is still in the steel ring but it looks like it has seen better days but you could re-use it, as far as rattling or making any unusual noises it was a bit quieter than normal and it felt lacking in top end. I did a track day a couple of weeks ago and gave the bike a good thrashing that day i am thinking now this may have dislodged the cat?. But the bike feels free now and seem to run a treat the only negative is the back- firing it scares the sh*t out of everyone around me so i am thinking of block off plates might be a good next move, i heading back on track in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see the performance gains on the track.

Back