Stock Exhaust ?

Rodizle

I have a 2008 FZ1 and I have two questions.

1) Has anyone gutted there cat and cord the stock can and is there instructions on coring the can?

2) By gutting the cat will this bring down the motor temp and stop all the heat on my legs?

I do have lower fairings as well. I was riding in traffic yesterday and my legs were on fire.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've not gutted the cat. There are conflicting reports about whether or not the back pressure it provides is valuable to the engine. I replaced the stock can with the Two Brothers slip-on which eliminated the EXUP.

As for the heat on the legs, a good pair of riding pants will make that unnoticeable. The lower fairings make it a little more concentrated too.

I wear FirstGear Mesh overpants and don't have the fairings and I'm quite comfortable even up to a 95+ degree day.

You're feeling the extra heat because of the lower fairings. They trap more of the heat in so gutting the header is not going to help in that regard, but will give you a little extra power. Removing the cat in the stock muffler cannot be done w/o cutting and rewelding the muffler. Most people just opt for an aftermarket slip-on for this reason (not to mention that the stock exhaust doesn't look too good and weighs a ton).

Back