Stock exhaust replacement.

Hi everyone!
I'm sure this has been covered on here many times before.. but I'm new here... indulge me!
I recently upgraded from a Thundercat to a 2008 Fz1, and absolutely love it.
It's standard apart from touring fairings and higher screen.(see profile pic) but the only thing I dislike about it is the ugly stock exhaust.
I've just bought a Scorpion red power carbon stubby which looks great, but the question is do I remove the cat when I fit it.
I'm from the UK, and unsure as to whether it will fail the emissions test on MOT, and is there any benefits / disadvantages from removing the cat.

Thanks for a superb forum.. loving it here...

Hi everyone!
I'm sure this has been covered on here many times before.. but I'm new here... indulge me!
I recently upgraded from a Thundercat to a 2008 Fz1, and absolutely love it.
It's standard apart from touring fairings and higher screen.(see profile pic) but the only thing I dislike about it is the ugly stock exhaust.
I've just bought a Scorpion red power carbon stubby which looks great, but the question is do I remove the cat when I fit it.
I'm from the UK, and unsure as to whether it will fail the emissions test on MOT, and is there any benefits / disadvantages from removing the cat.

Thanks for a superb forum.. loving it here...

No need to remove the cat, but you can if ya want.

I wouldn't bother. If you really want gains, buy aftermarket headers. Currently Arrow are the only after market headers that will work with other aftermarket slipons. They're easy to install aren't that expensive when compared to others.

I wouldn't bother. If you really want gains, buy aftermarket headers. Currently Arrow are the only after market headers that will work with other aftermarket slipons. They're easy to install aren't that expensive when compared to others.

I second this. I gutted the header on mine and I wish I hadn't.

I gutted my cat, and any performance improvement is practically negligible. Still running the ugly stock muffler. The exhaust sound increased ever so slightly, but is still very pleasant in my opinion. I am not regretful about it, but any gains are tiny.
Speeddemon:
I am curious as to why you wish you had not gutted your header. Thanks.

Hi I do not know the emission limits in the UK but I would not remove the cat. The manufacturer builds the cat to achieve emission levels and they really pull a lot of tricks to do so without compromising to much power. Yamaha has to fulfill the EU norm and I guess they are valid in the UK as well so all European bikes have the same cat set up to achieve the emission limits. Removing the cat should put you far away from the limits, otherwise the manufacturer would never install a cat that costs money and development time.
The same should be true for all no cat slip ons and aftermarket headers.

Hi
There are no emmision tests for motorcycle mot here in the uk,, I would leave the cat in place to be honest for what little gain you may get , unless your going for a full blown tune in Wich case you would be better with a performance header ;)

Back