Stiffen the Rubber Mounted Rearsets - CHEAP FIX!

Borrowed this mod from the FZ1OA mod threads:

Rubber mounted rear sets - CHEAP FIX!! - FZ1OA Message Board

FZ6 foot rests and washer mod on pegs - FZ1OA Message Board

In Short:

There is excessive flex in the rear sets: about 1.5 inches just wiggling it with my arms, let alone 200lbs standing on the peg. Also while shifting gears or braking the rearsets flex like crazy. Consequently, you get a very vague to zero road feedback through the pegs.

Not only that but, considering, if you ride this bike like a sportbike through the twisties and are shifting your weight from peg to peg, your body isn't very stably grounded if the pegs bouncing up and down 2 inches.

So, thanks to FZ1OA suggestion of adding washers. I did just that and it works to perfection. Rock solid rear sets.

The key to it is that the washers have to perfectly fit into the recess in the rear set and the hole of the washer has to fit around the steel pin or tube that pokes through the rubber bushing.

The Home Depot, crown bolt, little orange bag stainless washer work great for the rearset washer mod. Part number 32521.

Infact I optimized this mod even further.

Actually I tried this and just installing the Home Depot washers under the bolts didn't make much/any difference. The actual flex comes from the rubber bushing behind the rear set that rests on the nubbie in the frame. Instead of removing that rubber bushing I installed one of these HomeDepot washers on the nubbie. That really got rid of all the flex. And you don't really need to put washers under the front bolts. Just inverting the existing washers so that their rubber side is up solves the problem completely. It doesn't look bad though. So basically you can do away with just one washer on each side. I did this for both my FZ6 and FZ1. Infact the flex is more pronounced on the FZ6 than the FZ1. It is as much as 2 inches.

The washer hole diameter is 13 mm and outer diameter is 25 mm. However if used on the nubbie it will fit loose but works nonetheless.

So 1st try flipping the stock rubber washers, see if the flex is still there. If it is then add a washer behind.

This is essentially a $1 mod.

I ran straight from work over to Home Cheepo and picked up the stainless washers for the modification. When I got home I installed two out of the three washers on each side. The lower most bolt will have to wait until the weekend when I remove the fairings. I want to ride to work tomorrow so I didn't want to tackle the fairings today. I didn't test her out yet but I gotta say that even with just two washers, the pegs are a whole lot stiffer. Saturday I'll be removing the fairings to do an oil change, tune-up, and A.I.S. removal. At that time I will change out the last washer. Thanks to Tony(NJFZ1) for passing along the SKU# for the washers. I found them right away and the 3 packs cost less than $4.50. Not bad at all. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow from work.

:wow: I did this yesterday and rode the bike today. Talk about a huge difference!! My feet felt much more stable and there was no vibration. I actually think there was more vibration with the rubber washers in place. Best $2 I ever spent.

Yea, as far as bang for the buck this mod is hard to beat. Cheap and simple. I find that even the shifting is better since there is less flex at the shift lever. And for those of you that are interested in doing this mod you can get the washers at Home Depot. They are made by Crown Bolt and the part # is 32521...little orange bag with two washers each.

Last edited:
Well, I just got to work and all I can say is MAN! I should have done this mod a long time ago! With just two of three washers on each side the difference is amazing. It just feels the way it should have felt from the beginning. Now I remember how my Gixer felt way back when. Thanks to you guys for all the help and now its time to spread the word! Lose them rubber washers!!!!

Yea, as far as bang for the buck this mod is hard to beat. Cheap and simple. I find that even the shifting is better since there is less flex at the shift lever. And for those of you that are interested in doing this mod you can get the washers at Home Depot. They are made by Crown Bolt and the part # is 32521...little orange bag with two washers each.

Well, the instructions.... and now the part number... Guess it's time for me to make the parts run, eh? ;)

I have to go to Rat Shack anyway to get two momentary switches. I'm going to hard-wire garage door remotes for both mine and my wife's bikes. :D

I've got a set of Gilles rearsets and they are rock solid!

CrazyBiker, what is your report on the rizomas? I've seen a set for the Gen I and :drools:

When Lonerider59 came through, I looked at his rearsets and there was tons of movement with only my hands. I can only imagine what the ride/feel is like with the stock setup. Another cheap mod with an excellent bang for the buck.

Well, I guess maybe this will be my next little project on the bike. That does kind of weird me out how the peg mounts flex like that. I thought there was something wrong when I first got the bike.

Nice idea fellers...:cheers:

Well, I guess maybe this will be my next little project on the bike. That does kind of weird me out how the peg mounts flex like that. I thought there was something wrong when I first got the bike.

Nice idea fellers...:cheers:

You'll be pleased with the end result and the price ;)

I did the rubberized washer-flip thing last night on the GF's 2005 Gen-I FZ1. It made a big difference right away! Yes, there's still a bit of flex, but no where near as much.

I'll be off to buy some washers after work today, hope those work on the Gen-I's!

Does the FZ6 footpeg rubber-swap work on Gen-I's ???

:confused0024:

I did the rubberized washer-flip thing last night on the GF's 2005 Gen-I FZ1. It made a big difference right away! Yes, there's still a bit of flex, but no where near as much.

I'll be off to buy some washers after work today, hope those work on the Gen-I's!

Does the FZ6 footpeg rubber-swap work on Gen-I's ???

:confused0024:

The washers will work on the Gen I as well, but I don't think the FZ6 rubber pads will. Foot pegs between Gen I and Gen II look different to me...

Washers installed. Werkz even better than the stock washer flip!!!

Thanks again folks for the tip! :tup:

Now.... to find a cheap fix/replacement for that foam-rubber uber-squishy foot-peg insert... Anyone yet try to fill the air void with leftover RTV sitting around the garage/basement?

Washers installed. Werkz even better than the stock washer flip!!!

Thanks again folks for the tip! :tup:

Now.... to find a cheap fix/replacement for that foam-rubber uber-squishy foot-peg insert... Anyone yet try to fill the air void with leftover RTV sitting around the garage/basement?

Others have used FZ6 stock inserts and claim they are much better... thinking of doing that myself but first the washers!!!

Had a chance to ride the FZ1 yesterday with the ss washer mod....

...OMG ! ! !

BIG difference!

Soo much more stable in the corners, and is also less 'twichy' on the freeway (forks lowered).

Flipping the rubber-backed washers rubber side out eliminated most of my footpeg stay movement. Anyone reading this thread should stop now, go out and flip the footpeg stay washers.

There is still some sloppiness due to the pillowy footpeg pads, as well as the bushings used where the stay mounts to the frame. For minimum flex we would have to replace all three rubber bushings (per side) with delrin or aluminum pieces, but that would be pricey. And in reality your time and money would be better spent first replacing the footpeg pads with the FZ6 part or replacing the whole footpeg with an aftermarket, all metal peg.

And I don't really see how inserting a washer over the nubby, between the frame and the bushing on the backside helps. I would imagine the washer would prevent the nubby from fully seating within the bushing and allow the stay to move around even more. Maybe if you trimmed off the rim of the bushing, the part that sits between the back of the stay and the frame surrounding the nubby, then used a metal washer in its place.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, Crazy. I'm really happy with the feel with just the FREE inverted washer mod.

Flipping the rubber-backed washers rubber side out eliminated most of my footpeg stay movement. Anyone reading this thread should stop now, go out and flip the footpeg stay washers.

There is still some sloppiness due to the pillowy footpeg pads, as well as the bushings used where the stay mounts to the frame. For minimum flex we would have to replace all three rubber bushings (per side) with delrin or aluminum pieces, but that would be pricey. And in reality your time and money would be better spent first replacing the footpeg pads with the FZ6 part or replacing the whole footpeg with an aftermarket, all metal peg.

And I don't really see how inserting a washer over the nubby, between the frame and the bushing on the backside helps. I would imagine the washer would prevent the nubby from fully seating within the bushing and allow the stay to move around even more. Maybe if you trimmed off the rim of the bushing, the part that sits between the back of the stay and the frame surrounding the nubby, then used a metal washer in its place.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, Crazy. I'm really happy with the feel with just the FREE inverted washer mod.

When I had my stockers on I simply flipped them as well. worked like a champ.

Back