Stiffen the Rubber Mounted Rearsets - CHEAP FIX!

Just went out to the garage and flippped them. Worked great. I still may try the Homedepot washers, but I dont imagine they would work better than fliping them.

I bought (8) 1/2 x 1 1/4 stainless steel washers and took them to work and machined the outside diameter of (4) of the OD down to 29.5mm.
The recess is 30mm so I gave them 0.5mm clearance.
I then removed the stock (outside) rubber/steel washers and installed (4) of my modified ones.
There is pretty much zero flex at all now.
I was going to put another (4) on the nubs off the frame but there is no need to now as I am more than happy with the outcome.
I have a set of Oberon (sports) pegs currently shipping to me as we speak so I'll take some pics once they arrive and after I fit them up.

EDIT: I originally tried the flipping of the outside washer but there was still a little bit of play, this mod works much better.
The trick is to get the washers close to the 30mm recess size and your good to go, this is most probably why some people still get play by using the Home depot washers which are 27.7mm OD.

Last edited:
EDIT: I originally tried the flipping of the outside washer but there was still a little bit of play, this mod works much better.
The trick is to get the washers close to the 30mm recess size and your good to go, this is most probably why some people still get play by using the Home depot washers which are 27.7mm OD.

Yea, I didn't like the look or feel of flipping the original washers. If I had access to some equipment like you I would have done the same. However, the Home Depot washers eliminated 90% of the flex and I spent under $2...cant beat it!

Just found this thread. I was wrenching on the bike the other day and thought my rear sets were loose at first. I can't believe how much flex Yamaha put into them...

I flipped the washers around also and it made a big improvement. Thanks for the suggestion...

I'm new to biking and the forum. Tried the outside washer first but it still allowed flex as CrazyBiker said. I then drilled out steel flat washers with a step drill to 3/4" so they would fit over the bushing protrusion on the back side of the rear set mount. Bolted on and now they are solid to the frame. Surprisingly I didn't notice any vibration or buzzing during a 100 mile ride today. Great mod. Thanks to all for their input and suggestions.

Picture for the Visually Challenged (like me...)

Anyone reading this thread should stop now, go out and flip the footpeg stay washers.

Agreed! Either adding a new washer or simply flipping the existing one works! I just stumbled across this. If you're doing a lot of highway touring miles, there's no need to make this mod. There will be less vibration fatigue with the rubber mounts.

If you're canyon carving, this is a must! I've attached a picture of the bolts to remove for those who want to see it first. Put one of the washers behind (i.e., in addition to,) the OEM rubber backed washer that you see in the pic.

Done in two minutes for two bucks! Great mod! Thanks to all!

Can anyone explain how to take out that rubber washer.
I was planning to change my rearsets with new OEM ones today but couldn't take those rubber washers out of the old rear sets to put in new ones.
Is there a trick for taking them out?

Back