steering stem bearings replacement

ghetto_d

hey guys, the question today is:
I'm replacing the bearings in the steering stem of my '07. I have everything apart, aside from the races out of the frame, and the race off the stem. I don't currently have any bearing/ race pullers or drivers that really fit the bill. Before I go and order any (or try anything otherwise), I wanna know if any of you have done this replacement procedure, and if so, what tools did you use (or try to use!)? This thing only has 8k on the clock, and zero corrosion, so it should all come apart as easily as any other. Before anyone asks, I'm only replacing these bearings because I am in there already...
Spanks!

I found tapered roller bearings to be smoother and providing a better feel.

Yamaha is also uses a sketchy seal in that area, prone to rusting.

If you have it apart you may as well replace them.

With no corrosion and that little miles I wouldn't bother replacing them. The Beauty of bearings is that you can just grease them. As long as the races and bearings are smooth grease them and put it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found tapered roller bearings to be smoother and providing a better feel.

Yamaha is also uses a sketchy seal in that area, prone to rusting.

If you have it apart you may as well replace them.

I thought about rollers, but didn't want the steering to get too heavy or muddy feeling. Opted to stick with balls, OE at that.

Did you change them yourself, or not? Any feedback on the process itself?

I've done steering bearings twice already and I will tell you that while you can remove the races with just a drift and hammer, I'd invest in the bearing installer kit from Harbor Freight to make your life a bit easier. To remove just spray some WD or PB Blaster in the neck and get a long drift and just hold it on the edge of the race and tap around the edges. As for the one on the stem itself, I used a dremel with a cutting wheel and lightly cut into the race until it popped right off from the tension. Just go really slow and very light on the touch. You only want to score it and not cut into the stem. If you need the SKU# of the kit I used from H.F. I'll pm you the details when I get home from work.

billy - i've got a similar bearing driver kit, but don't seem to have the right size driver for the big races. i was thinking of just using an old race to drive the new ones.
how did you get the one seated onto the stem? by tightening the nuts down, thereby pulling the lower triple up against the frame?

billy - i've got a similar bearing driver kit, but don't seem to have the right size driver for the big races. i was thinking of just using an old race to drive the new ones.
how did you get the one seated onto the stem? by tightening the nuts down, thereby pulling the lower triple up against the frame?

If I remember correctly, I turned the old bearing upside down and used it to tap the new one onto the stem. Also, if you have everything off the stem you may want to leave it in the freezer overnight as it will constrict the metal and make it easier for the bearing to slip down onto it.

Last edited:
Back