Steering head bearings...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Coming from the FZ6 (both an '05 and an '08), there's an issue with these Yamaha bikes regarding the steering head bearings. A lot of the riders at the sister site have had these prematurely go bad and feel these is an issue with water getting to the bearings. There are many threads over there and many shots of one and two year old bikes with rusted steering head bearings. Of course, they are all replacing them with All Balls tapered bearings.

So, with the ongoing saga and constant flow of pictures and issues on the FZ6 bikes.....

1. I'm wondering who here, Gen I or Gen II, has actually visually inspected their bearings?
  2. Has there been any unexpected bad news in doing this?
  3. How many have replaced the bearings?
  4. What brand bearing did you buy as a replacement?
  5. Are you a fair-weathered rider or an actual rider?
  6. Do you live where the bike is or is not winterized?
  7. How long had you owned the bike?
  8. Are there bearings OTHER than the steering head that you've had trouble with?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
No bad experience with my steering head bearings, but I can tell you that I will be replacing them with the tapered roller bearings for peace of mind. I will be taking the front end apart later on this year to get the triple tree powdercoated and I figured that would be a good time to replace them. Of course I will document the whole thing unless someone else beats me to it ;)

And by the way All Balls doesn't really make the bearings. They just put the kits together (bearings, races, seals) using name brand parts, but you already probably knew this :)

1. I'm wondering who here, Gen I or Gen II, has actually visually inspected their bearings?
2. Has there been any unexpected bad news in doing this?
3. How many have replaced the bearings?
4. What brand bearing did you buy as a replacement?
5. Are you a fair-weathered rider or an actual rider?
6. Do you live where the bike is or is not winterized?
7. How long had you owned the bike?
8. Are there bearing OTHER than the steering head that you've had trouble with?

1. 2001 Gen 1 Me.
2. Needed grease.
3. Not me.
4. N/A
5. Actual... all weather, plus the bike lives outside.
6. Winterized = Stabil in tank, and bike over in buddy's garage.
7. 3 years? Maybe 4... I don't remember.
8. not really.

I pulled the steering head to inspect the bearings, and while they looked decent, they were damn near dry. This has been a common problem with many bikes... regardless of manufacturer... they tend to not put much grease on any bearings from the factory. It's something that if caught early, can greatly increase the life of the bearings... also, I'd recommend using an "All Weather" grease... something that will really stick to the bearing...

I've used All Balls bearings in the past on many bikes, with great results, but no need to replace if the stock bearings are in good shape, but just dry...

If we could get someone on here with a relatively new FZ to pull the neck and check the bearings, I'm sure your findings would be the same as mine... I pulled mine and checked with 4,000 miles on the bike.. the previous owner kept it in a garage and never rode in the rain.. So, for all intents and purposes, the bearings should have been as the left the factory... and that was grossly under-greased.

I'd recommend to anyone / everyone to pull the neck, grab a tub of grease, and lube those things up... then, you'll have many worry free years.

Thanks from both of you.

Aaron, I may do that on some upcoming rainy weekend where I know I'll not be riding. I'd rather know they are well greased than (highly likely) running dry. I've got less than a season on my bike and yes, I ride in the rain too. I've got almost 7k on the bike since I bought it last June.

I still want to replace them with the All Balls tapered for the best performance and total peace-of-mind.

You should see the ones coming out of the FZ6 bikes!

Back