starting not so good, GEN 1 thou

• Thread starter Deleted member 8386
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8386

From cold when starting it immediately comes to life then over the next 2-3 seconds stops. Choke doesn't help. After another 2 or 3 goes and by then it will accept a little throttle to help thing along and all then is ok. At this point I use the choke for about 20 seconds to keep the idle at about 1300.

I have owned the bike for 1 month and have hardly ridden it as not allowed to for 4 more weeks.

It had sat in a garage unridden for 1 year prior.

Bike has slip on, aftermarket jet needle and jets prof installed. I suspect adjusted TPS as tacho at 10K. When warm engine runs well no flatspots and produces great power.

I have drained all of the old fuel out by removing the tank and letting the engine starve to cut off. Then new plugs and fuel, same problem but not quiet as bad.

Carby removal and clean?

Just exploring options, any advice would be appreciated.

Pull the carbs and clean them.
My 01 sat for 4 years and needed the carbs cleaned bad.
Better today, it seemed to like the fresh fuel and plugs have helped on the second day, started today 1st go, idle was at about 8-900 and gradually rises. Bit of choke for a few seconds once started and bobs your uncle.
Also forgot to mention, when putting in fresh fuel I added some Nulon fuel cleaner. Perhaps this needed a few k's to clean away!

oh, that means when things work out ok then "bob's you uncle", I too don't understand....however it is a saying in oz and somehow fits and just works when things work out.
The only logic is in your imagination.

Back