Standard gearing Gen1?

S

Shifty

Hey guys

Wanting to know:

(a) what is standard gearing
(b) what do most people upgrade to?

My bike has a 39T (!!) rear so I need to decide if I'm going to "upgrade" to standard gearing or if I'm going to go a bit further.

Cheers.

What sort of riding do you do and/or why do you like the gearing you have?

sport/touring mostly. My weekend rides consist of 4-500 miles of knee dragging and mountain touring.
I found the 17 tooth sprocket was too soft accelerating from a stop and the 15 tooth made full throttle 1st gear launches impossible due to excessive wheelies. It also just had the bike tacking a little higher in every other gear. yes it will accelerate faster in 6th with lower gearing, but you could just as easily down shift. With the 16 tooth front sprocket the front tire would just hover a few inches above the ground with a hard first gear launch. once out of first gear the 17 tooth sprocket was nice, as it moved the gear ratios a little farter apart and provided 1-2 extra MPG. Not worth the loss in first gear though.

The gearing commander site is good, but you just won't know until you ride it.
Gen 1.....
I went from the stock 16/44 (great for stretches 500 mile week ends) to 15/44 to get rid of my double clutching to get rolling and the forever feeling of waiting to get tthrough 2nd and 3rd.....pretty good for the flat lands of florida...my long ride is only about 250 or so.....
Went to 15/46 for a week up in the mountains......but the highway ridding killed me.......
Have now settled on 16/46....can't be happier....a bit more get up and go, and still cruise at 90 without going numb.

Shifty:
The 39 tooth rear sprocket would only be good for long highway trips and just easy cruising. The gas mileage will be several MPG better for steady speeds on the road, but can actually be worse for city riding where you are starting and stopping a good bit. First gear starts are slow and you can't get too agressive without laboring the clutch some. I speak from personal experience with my own FZ1. The small rear sprocket will greatly reduce the "fun factor" for the motorcycle. I recommend stock gearing.

I think I'm doing around 3500rpm at 100km/h (60mph) in top. I did check but can't remember for sure now. Either way it's very very low.

I'll definitely be removing this chain & sprockets when funds permit - and based on feedback I think standard gearing is probably pretty close to what I want anyway. It rides nicely as it is, my only complaint is (as mentioned) a spirited takeoff isn't possible without murdering the clutch.

With our road enforcement here in Australia (you can steal a car and it's fine, but if you go over the speed limit while leaving you'll get shot) the standard gearing should be more than enough.

I settled on 16/45 and am very happy with it.

Seems the right combo for a roadbike - nice to doddle around on, nice for sport riding, and enough go & enough wheelie if you want it :)

Back