Squeaking Pads.

I am f'ing sick of this.

Last year when I was around the 3K mark I changed over to the 08 R1 front end. In the process I installed Brembo "Street" sintered pads. I was using some wave rotors off eBay, and basically they were screwed up. I switched from waves, to 08 R1's, to another set of waves, to 08 R1's to then a set of 2010 R1 Rotors.

Ever since all that has been done, they have been squeaking at 10mph and lower on light braking. Hard braking they bite like a mother and will yank the rear tire off the ground with ease. I LOVE the way they feel, along with the entire R1 6 piston calipers, SS lines, and Brembo MC.

I have deglazed the pads and rotors on multiple occasions and it only hides the squeak for a good 50 miles and its back again.

What do I do? Buy different pads? I feel like I am pulling up on a POS when I go to a stop and you hear it squeaking. Especially annoying getting gas and the overhang amplifies it. These pads now have around 7K ish on them.

IF I need new pads, anyone know what some GOOD pads are that will be nice and quiet?

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but . . .

You could try some "Brake Quiet" (I think that's what it's called) on the backs of the pads where they contact the pistons. It's a spray and you don't need much. Then, clean the rub points and pins really good where the pads track in the caliper.

:)

the sqeaking you describe is actualy a high frequency vibration between the pad and caliper. and is why you don't hear it under hard braking. Some pads are worse then others. This is usualy most noticeable during times of low humidity. The are a number of shims and coatings that can be added to the back of the pads to reduce this.

So should I try some of that anti squeak paste that you can get at autozone in those little packets at the counter? Just smear it on the back of the pads?

I never even thought about it being the back side and not the actual pad contacting the rotor...

So should I try some of that anti squeak paste that you can get at autozone in those little packets at the counter? Just smear it on the back of the pads?

I never even thought about it being the back side and not the actual pad contacting the rotor...

Yes, believe it or not it's the back of the pad causing the issue...I know it doesn't seem logical...lol

Anyway I would recommend a stick on pad rather than the paste. I think you can get them at a NAPA (or probably any other auto parts store).

That should work, but you need to clean the rub spots and guide pins so that they set neatly between the pistons and the discs, too.

:)

Squeeling, squeeking brakes come from the rotors being glazed. The remedy: clean 'em up with some fine grit sandpaper then follow up with a product like Brake Kleen.

I always use the Anti-Squeak Grease on the back of my pads, both car and bike, and never had an issue with squealing. Like Tony said, it resonates from the backs of the pads. "A little dab will do ya" :tup:

Back